What is the best way to move Skyrim to a new computer?

bobham

Hi:

Due to a problem in either the motherboard or cpu in my computer I had to basically re-build from scratch. I did a fresh install of Windows 7 on a new drive and I am wondering what files I will need to transfer when I install Skyrim again. I assume I should do a fresh Skyrim install and then connect to Steam to ensure I have all the latest updates before I try to move any files? Or is there another way to ensure the game is up to date?

Once the game itself is up to date, what do I need to copy in order to retain my position in the game and the mods I have installed? I neglected to mention that I do have all the drives that were in my now defunct computer installed in this one so the files are readily availble.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bob

PS: Would the same techniques apply to Fallout New Vegas?

The easiest way to make sure you're running an identical setup is to install the game on your new computer, then copy the entirety of your old Data folder into your new one. Then you should be able to copy over NMM's config data as well, though I've never had the need to do so myself.

In principle, this should also all apply to FNV.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I have moved my game back and forth between my 2 computers several times and here is what I do. If your old game had all the skyrim game updates from steam then do a fresh install of skyrim and nmm. have skyrim recognize your video card, install dx etc. Install the latest NMM. and let skyrim create your ini files.

Now, rename your common folder to commonold, copy your old common folder into the location you just renamed the other common folder (when you are sure the game works, delete the commonold folder). Now delete all files in your new NMM folder and copy the files from the old NMM folder into the freshly emptied NMM folder. Then copy your saved games from your old game to the new my games\skyrim\saves folder and copy over the ini's and render files. If there is an NMM folder here make sure it is empty.

go to the NMM folder on the hard drive and create a short cut of the NMM client executable for your desktop and find the skseloader.exe file in the skyrim folder and create a short cut and copy it onto your desktop, and you should be good to go.

Also, remember, NMM doesn't always put all of your installed mods in the NMM folder so always save your mods that you install in a separate folder just in case.

Ok the editor is not working correctly so I will edit my post this way. The line saying "Now, rename your common folder to commonold" should read "Now, rename your new common folder to commonold"