Fresh Install GTX780 15FPS

Alskasier

Hi Guys,

I recently installed a GTX780 with Skyrim strictly in mind. I was hoping to run a heavily modded game. After a fresh install of Skyrim, I wanted to see how my GPU could "crush" vanilla's Ultra settings. Unfortunately my GPU performed far below my expectations and worse than even my 570. Upon exiting Helgen my game would begin to stuterr and, according to Fraps, I would stutter-walk around the open world bouncing from 8FPS to 25FPS and no higher. As you can expect this has led to a unbearable playing experiences.

I know from reading around different forums that my GTX780 should be able to run vanilla Skyrim like a breeze but it is not doing so for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My specs are:

GPU: GTX 780 3gb (driver 340.52)

CPU: i5 2500k

Memory: 8GB Ram

Resolution: 1920x1080 60Hz

Try tuning down the distance to load or the graphics you don't really notice like specularity and shadows. Still 15 fps should not be happening at all.. Run the skyrim performance monitor for me and post the graph you get here, that should tell us if it's bottlenecking.

Edited by Valkasha

Yep. It recognizes the GTX780. maybe my CPU is a bottleneck? But this game ran fine on normal settings with a 2500k and GTX570..

1, Make sure GPU is properly seated in slot of PCI-E 16x slot.

2, Totally remove video card drivers and do clean driver install.

3, Try different drivers if the above does not remedy.

Test it.....

Furmark

OCCT

Are you sure all the plugs are fully in 6 pin and or 8 pin plugs on end of Video card?

IS the card in the slot closest to the CPU = top slot?

Pull the card and REseat it in the Slot. ( i had a card not seat because the tab was hung up on the slot in the motherboard tray)

Testing can confirm a bad driver install...as the driver will crash.

Do any other Games play? or is it just Skyrim?

EDIT...ohhh wait...did you generate NEW ini files and Renderinfo.txt? Is the NEW GPU listed in the Skyrimprefs.ini? TO force Skyrim to "Detect your Video settings" delete renderinfo.txt. Run the Default game launcher. Skyrim will do its thing and give you a new Renderinfo.txt.

Skyrim should give you "Ultra" as your preset and you should have a solid 60 FPS.

=============

And before anyone says...its a Fresh install of Skyrim....Steam and Skyrim do not flush the files in My docs.... :smile:

Edited by camaro_69_327

Hey guys,

Sorry for the delay. I work very odd, long hours and I do appreciate the help so far. So earlier today I ran a couple tests with vanilla skyrim if I lower the graphic settings to medium and change the view distsntsnce I can keep about 30fps if there are not a lot of characters on the screen. But as you can expect I am not satisfied at all. Texture detail I can live without but I spent this kind of money on the video card with the full expectation of being able to run skyrim flawlessly on ultra and a bevy of graphic mods to boot. when I get a chance later today I will run the hardware tests. As of right now I am just very distraught over this.

Sorry for any mistakes. This is being sent from my phone.

Also skyrim render info was brand new and recognizes my card. With the installation of the video card I basically brought my computer back to factory installation and reinstalled the OS and such. The start up screen if sjyrim set my graphic settings to medium.. which made no sense to me st all.

Edited by Alskasier

30 fps should not be happening with your system, especially at medium, it is obvious to me your GPU is not being used properly. You should have a solid 60 frames per second at least.

If nothing works try reverting to an older GPU driver though I doubt that's what causing this.

Like I said, run the skyrim performance monitor, that shows you how much of your GPU is being used.

Edited by Valkasha