• An interesting side-project
    • Really isn't needed
    • Disrespects the original voice actors
    • Sorely needed for some unique NPCs
    • Already making a mod around this idea
    • Voice acting in Vanilla SUCKS!
    • I have a mod that can benefit from this
    • Other
  2. 2. Which game character needs a voice overhaul more?

• Peter Hollens for the male Bards! Or someone else...
    • Malukah for the female Bards! Or someone else...
    • Those damned guards
    • People in general, with some extra dialogue
    • A dragon or two (Excluding Paarthurnax, or not)
    • Children (damnit Braith)
    • Daedra and the Daedric Princes
    • Followers, and make it so they have more unique dialogue for each
    • Optional Gamer Poop Plugin (for kicks)
    • Other
  3. 3. What kind of mod would benefit from this most?

• An quest/adventure mod
    • A story mod involving some of the vanilla characters
    • Overhauls that change add/remove/modify character lines
    • Mods that add player voices (and maybe fill in requests for custom voices)
    • Race mods
    • Content mods that alter existing storylines
    • Mods that require vanilla characters to activate (such as a courier)
    • Certain DLC sized mods
    • Other

Hey, guys, Lunis here with another mod request.

Does anyone notice that, when you look at mods that add dialogue to existing characters, the characters in question are silent? Not only does this break immersion, but if the character is actually saying something important, those who didn't enable subtitles won't have a clue what they're saying. That is why I'm here today.

Voice Actor Overhaul is a mod idea that makes it so the vanilla voices are switched out for custom voices by multiple voice actors. This means that the voice actors will have to say every line in the game, possibly in several different ways, as well as giving more unique characters the unique actor they deserve.

Although the acting is important in the long run, in truth the mod is meant to be used alongside other voiced mods. An example is the The Paarthurnax Dilemma, where you are given the option of sparing Paarthurnax. However, there is no audio for the Blade's reactions to the forceful dialogue you give them. This mod is aimed at mod authors who want to involve the vanilla characters in a mod not intended by Bethesda, and no voice acting was made for such an idea. As such, I may consider this a modder's resource rather than a full fledged mod, because the mod will not have any point of being made otherwise.

I'm not entirely sure how you would intend this to work:

If you want to replace all the voice acting in the game because it isn't all that great... That's requested like once a day. There's a reason it has not yet been made - it takes many dedicated voice actors (about 100 GOOD ones) and so much time. Putting 100 voice filed into the game takes a long time. You're talking thousands upon thousands.

If you're talking a resource for modders, well... I suppose you could have VAs record a bunch of common dialogue. But lines tend to be very specific and while you can usually splice things together, it wouldn't be "just right" for many.

And there are quite a few great VAs who want to voice act for mods that could be contacted rather than using the resource. So while they're good ideas, they would be hard to implement or near impossible.

well,yes,the voice actors in vanilla sound really painful
like the female guard
'the imperialsthinkweneedtheirlaws pff'

rushed,like they didn't care
or the same reaction line
'Keep your hands to yourself'
but the biggest flaw is the lack of dialogue on the events
it looks that the npc are static,continuining their routine as everything is normal,even after the stormcloaks took control of Solitude
ie
Ysolda with her same :Once i've made enough money trading with the Khajiit caravans,i'm going to buy the bannered mare from Hulda'
that makes me angry on how static NPCs are
or Nazeem:Do you get to the cloud district very often?oh what i'm saying,of course you don't
when it should be
if talking to a npc
Ysolda:Have you heard?the stormcloaks took over Solitude and General Tullius is dead!
i've heard that the stranger lately arrived is Dragonborn REPLY:It could be possible?it can be just a legend
if talking to you
Ysolda:You are the guy that assaulted Whiterun with the stormcloaks
or
you are the one that slew that terrible dragon!you saved us all
there are rumors in the city that you are Dragonborn,it's true?
or a honor fest in jorvaskrr after Dragonborn killed Alduin
with all of Whiterun,your current commander (Ulfric and Galmar or Rikke and Tullius),The jarls,all of your followers
singing
All hail the Dragonborn,the saviour of the World and Sovngarde,the Slayer of Alduin
that would have been better than a generic return to Skyrim like nothing happened
i would have done dragon sieging every major city,and the only way to stop them was kill Alduin

Edited by OblivionHarbinger20

i can't remember where i reads this (might have been reddit) and apparently for non unique voice actors they used 5 people.

One thing I can say:

Skyrim did a lot better than Oblivion. Oblivion had what, 40 VAs? Skyrim had nearly 90. Some of them could be better quality, but it's less that they're bad VAs and more that A) they don't have a great range of voices or B) they do but all of them got used.

i can't remember where i reads this (might have been reddit) and apparently for non unique voice actors they used 5 people.

One thing I can say:

Skyrim did a lot better than Oblivion. Oblivion had what, 40 VAs? Skyrim had nearly 90. Some of them could be better quality, but it's less that they're bad VAs and more that A) they don't have a great range of voices or B) they do but all of them got used.

I think a mod like this would work better if you replaced a single character's dialogue. I'd really like--and this is just daydreaming, I know--to see the woman that voiced Sofia redo all of Serana's vanilla dialogue and expand on it. Or, in the case you talked about, we could redo delphine's voice acting and expand it for the paarthurnax dilemma.

I think Matthias basically nailed the problems. There's a lot of pretty good voice acting in Skyrim; there's just a few lines that get delivered badly and not enough variety. Proceeding on a character-by-character basis would help eliminate a lot of that.