New video card build sli YAY

Thor.

Hello sense the gtx780ti is being fazed out i thought i would jump ship and go with a gtx970 and sli that baby. With current directx11 games you really can't tell what its capable of just yet. SOOONN though things will change that, sense directx 12 is backwards compatible performance gain i could see about a 30% increase with Windows 9.

the price for a gtx970 is to good too pass off, and not to mention they already have after market models out now.

Just a little over 300 its to hard to resist.

Even if i sell my gtx780ti around 600$ i still will be making money from it.

Its a gigabyte 780ti oc edition so i could get 700$ i think from it, what do you guys think??

monster build soooonn!!

they selling like hotcakes.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121899&cm_re=gtx970-_-14-121-899-_-Product

The wattage is very impressive its only a maximum of 200watts in comparison to my monster 500watt Kepler ti. they sure did their homework when it comes to power consumption.

Edited by Thor.

youre switching card again? i remember when you had a 7970, which was shortly before i got my 7950, which i still have. and which can still play any game just fine, and most of them on ultra.

i dont understand why youd go from a card that can play any game on ultra at 60fps, to a card that can play it at 80fps, when there is no difference whatsoever.

I too was once of the mind set that i wanted to switch cards. I do want nVidia next time for Physx and their new thing they got coming out that can generate real lighting in real time or whatever. but to spend $300-$400 when my card is still good for a couple more years, when there will be new and better cards then too, i just figure ill wait until my card finally stops playing new games on Ultra.

but anyways, congrats on the new cards. SLI with those things will in fact be beast for sure!

Its my revision program, each time there is a card with a performance gain with money to gain, I buy. But i have come to the conclusion i am going to wait a little longer until Christmas time till i buy it, as the prices and buying these cards right now is almost impossible.

play it smart, i have a Corsair haf XB case that can fit any card and water cooler that you think of.

Also i had crossfire setup of two 7950's, never go that route, buggy drivers.

Edited by Thor.

yea. I wont be looking to upgrade until either the next cycle of cards, if not the one after. (or after if the next two suck lol) basically another couple of years when my current card finally starts to show its age.

Its a gigabyte 780ti oc edition so i could get 700$ i think from it, what do you guys think??

If you have a buyer who will pay you $700 for a GTX780Ti, whatever edition, jump on the deal, thank them profusely, and throw in a small prayer of gratitude to your deity of choice. You could make a lot of money just buying new cards and selling them to that buyer.

780Ti cards cost $430 to $450 new in a store.

Unless you have 2 of them, in which case you should still take $700 for two - that's $350 each and at 80% a good price for a used card. $300 would be an easy sell but fair price. Unless you find someone who's been hiding under a rock for the past year and has no internet.

780Ti overclocks better than 980, but is slightly slower stock, so in terms of performance 780Ti~=980. It's about 10% faster than 970.

780Ti isn't a 500W card, it can be pushed to draw over 300W with overclock and furmark, but realistically it's a 250W card when lightly overclocked. 980 is a 200W card under similar conditions.

Edited by FMod

Good to know, i think i may wait until the gtx990 comes out. They might have 8gb of ram next years models.

the gigabyte model is currently the highest clocked ti as of now, so that 10% difference might be even 5 or even 4% gain which might be not much for me to buy a gtx980. Disappointment :down: . Though the 4gb of ram and the power efficiency, well that's another story.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/38953/nvidia-will-reportedly-launch-its-geforce-gtx-990-in-early-2015/index.html

I'm going to skip this model and sit back and wait for the newer 16nm gpu's.

Edited by Thor.

• 3 weeks later...

I got a GTX 980 recently, for about $550. That and I ended up buying a used H100 for my I5 2500k, so I can OC it more. I had a cooler master hyper 212+ on it before. It was the only upgrade my PC really needed. Now I'm good for another 2-3 years. The 980 is a freaking BEAST. Modded skyrim all the way, stays pegged at 60fps like all the time. Its not even close to using all my GPU. A 970 would probably do the same thing, because a 980 just totally crushes modded skyrim, even at 1440p.

And FYI, I doubt you could get $700 for a 780TI, when the 980 is just a better card because its got more overclocking headroom, and can handily beat a 780TI when you start OCing GPUs. Also the 980 is a better card for 4k resolution. So its more future proof than the 780TI is.

Edited by Beriallord