.esm, .esp, and .bsa files appear as documents and not executable files

thellamaman99

Hi, I'm a complete noob when it comes to modding, and I've recently started to mod up Skyrim on my Mac, which runs the game through Cider. I've been successful when installing meshes and mods whose .esp files show up as unix executable files, but for some reason, I have a hard time installing certain mods because they save .bsa, .esp, and .esm files as documents rather than unix executable files. I even save them to the data folder, and put the scripts in a folder of their own within data, but, alas, nothing seems to work. Can anyone help me understand why this happens?

The mods that I have been successful in installing so far are Grass on Steroids, Unarmed Warfare, and the Better Weapons mod. I am trying to get Footprints, Immersive Armors, Immersive Weapons, and Pure Waters. I also want SkyUI, but I CANNOT GET SKSE, so I don't think there's any chance of that happening. Thanks!

esm, esp and bsa are not executable files. Windows Executable files end in .exe .bat :blush:

There should be no reason to try to run them or click on them for any reason. bsa are Bethesda Software Archive. esp are Elder Scrolls Plugin files and ESM are Elder Scrolls Master files

Please remember that Skyrim was written for Windows and not Linux or OSX, so the file associations may be different.

As all mods are downloaded as compressed files ( zipped) All 3 of these should be unzipped and copied directly into the game data folder.

• 1 year later...

I've actually had a similar issue to the one above (and am also a noob when it comes to modding)... I manually download mods from nexus for my mac (El Capitan) Skyrim, however when they contain .esp, .esm or .bsa files within them, I cannot seem to get them working!? I followed various tutorials and placed a 'Plugins.txt' (I had to rename it to: Plugins.txt, because it automatically saved as just: Plugins) into the '%USERPROFILE%/Local Settings/Application Data/Skyrim' section as I was instructed. I've also gone through trying SKSE and creating a 'Skyrim Launcher' via Wine, but these haven't worked at all either. I know that I need a Skyrim Launcher to active mods through the 'data files', however, is there any other way? Am I doing something wrong with the layout of my Plugins.txt?

Here's a copy of my Plugins, if anyone could possibly help:

Skyrim.esm
TRO_BasicNeeds.esp
FAMP2.esp
Blacksmithforge water fix Vanilla.esp
Radiant and Unique Potions and Poisons v2.0.esp
isilNarsil.esp
iNeed.bsa
iNeed.esp
Dawnguard.esm
Dawnguard.bsa
KTIS.esp
GR123 Knights Templar.esp
Crimson Tide - Blood.esp

Anyway, if anyone could reply to help me, it would be great! Thanks.

"I cannot seem to get them working!? I followed various tutorials and placed a 'Plugins.txt' (I had to rename it to: Plugins.txt, because it automatically saved as just: Plugins)"

All files have a 3 letter extension, ALL of them ... You will have to turn on view file extensions from your folder/file options.

In your case here what happen is when you saved Plugins it did save it as Plugins.txt - However you are not seeing the extension with that option turned off.

So when you renamed it to Plugins.txt you really renamed it to Plugins.txt.txt - as the extension was always there.

Edited by NexusComa