New Computer Specs Recommendations

I am wanting to build a new gaming computer. I have searched all across the internet, and I havn't found anything that helps me found out what parts I need to get to match my specific requirements. I would like this computer to be able to run Skyrim with all dlcs and 40+ mods, Shogun Total War 2 with all dlcs, Rome Total War 2 with all dlcs, Medieval Total War with all dlcs and Third Age Total War mod with exspansion mods for that, MineCraft with SO MANY MODS!!!!! and still be able to run other games that I might want to play in the future. I would like to be able to play most if not all of these on or maybe a little lower than master settings. I also plan to have many improved graphics mods for skyrim. I would like to not have to spend to horribly much more than a thousand dollers, but if it would be a lot more I still would like to know the estimated price.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is 1400$ good enough, you could go the way of the gtx980 if you have room to spare.

Nvidia won this time around.

I can go deeper into the build, i just need a reference point.

Well, here's a usable build.

Since you need Skyrim, I picked a CPU that does well in TES games. Also accounted for a lot of storage assuming you need it.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WrsDnQ

This is a $1,270 build with no OS included. Keep in mind it will only be $1,270 if you mix and match retailers as suggested on the page. Anyway, it's mostly just Newegg with a couple parts from Amazon.

I assume you have a PC already? Do you plan to keep it or dismantle it for parts? If the latter, what HDD do you have, do you still have the OS DVD?

A few cost cuts can be done to that build, namely less storage or cheaper case and PSU. Alternately, a slightly better CPU can be added for $100, but the effects of that are minimal, so I can't really recommend that. (I similarly wouldn't recommend GTX 980, the gain over GTX 970 is very small for a large jump in price).

Right now Windows 7 64bit, wait until 9 comes out for the beta release. And i suggest getting 16gb ram sense windows uses allot of ram just in idle.

It does not, that's a common misconception.

Windows will make use of otherwise free RAM for caching data, but it's not "taken up" - that data takes no time to free up, you don't have to erase it in any particular way, it will be assigned as needed.

I initially put 16GB into the build, but it just didn't make sense; the extra $75 is pretty much frivolous spending that's hard to justify and spending it on the CPU would be better FWIW.