New Computer Specs Recommendations

You should have probably spent a little more time picking the exact setup.
It's not the make that matters, it's the model. Not every Intel is good in Skyrim, there simply are a few models they make - i5-2500K and a dozen of its improved versions - that can be very good in Skyrim if overclocked.

Double channel RAM is twice faster than single channel, that adds a few % in games.

But I have other question, for high resolution textures having 4 GB memory on gpu wouldn't be better?

Skyrim's engine is DX9, which means it uses common video and system memory, and it's 32-bit. The hard total limit is 4GB with a special patch, but it will crash before that. So more than 2GB of VRAM can only be used at the expense of the amount of system RAM Skyrim can use to store non-video data.

The total before crash rate goes unacceptably high, leaks not included, is about 3GB. So to put it short, any time Skyrim would need more than 2GB, it would be mostly unplayable for other reasons. The only time you might make reasonable use of more than 2GB is if you mod graphics and nothing else.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you get 16gb of ram it'll make it easier for Windows to pool data better to ram. It would increase stability and performance across OS. the with ram, the bigger the pool the better it may be for the OS.

If you allow it be around 3 or more memory to buffer at the expense of OS, the gaming outcome is a 10% increase in fps.

That i5 sits in my laptop, just to be exact. And yeah, maybe Skyrim won't use it but I won't be only playing Skyrim, but also other games like Metro the Last Light, Shadow of Mordor (I couldn't finish those becouse of broken cooling and overheating), new Witcher, etc. ;)

If you get 16gb of ram it'll make it easier for Windows to pool data better to ram. It would increase stability and performance across OS. the with ram, the bigger the pool the better it may be for the OS.

Stability isn't affected, performance is only significantly affected if your commit charge exceeds approx. 9GB. Otherwise spare RAM is used for HDD cache and that's it.

It's extremely rare circumstances where RAM affects fps. Do you have a link to any test showing an increase of 10% from 8 to 16GB of RAM?

Going from 8 to 16 or 16 to 64 in that matter, makes no difference in actual FPS unless there is bottleneck somewhere along the way. The speed and latency times are more important here and even then it doesn't make much difference. Only 2-3 FPS at best(1600vs2400). But, if the game is heavily relying on CPU performance(usually RTS games up to 1K units on map at any given time) then there might be difference around %10.

I saw this in here somewhere someone said that windows does not use a lot of RAM at idle. It can and on some computers it does. I think for Windows 7 at least the amount of RAM used by windows at idle will depend on what Windows version you have, number of monitors, and if you have antivirus (and similar) running or not.

For me Windows 7 x64 Ultimate uses 5-6GB at idle.

Stability isn't affected, performance is only significantly affected if your commit charge exceeds approx. 9GB. Otherwise spare RAM is used for HDD cache and that's it.

It's extremely rare circumstances where RAM affects fps. Do you have a link to any test showing an increase of 10% from 8 to 16GB of RAM?

HDD is not cached to RAM. The pagefile is a file on the HDD used to store idle programs from RAM when windows needs more memory. No adding more RAM will not add FPS, but only because it is the GPU, and in some cases the CPU that holds the FPS back.

Edited by Guest

When i upgraded to 16gb ram i notice really fast Skyrim response times. Latency went off the charts.

There is a difference trust me, especially when games require more then 8gb anyway.

Edited by Thor.

So I bought i7-4790k, Gainward GF GTX 770 Phantom and Corsair CS750W Modular 80+ Gold.

And I have some problems installing some things:

(sorry for my lack of knowledge on terminology)

1. I have a power cable that goes in with one plug into PSU, and splits into two plugs 6&8 pin (two times) is it right one to plug into GPU?

2. Chasis had a SATA cable in box for 3 storage drives, 3 SATA plugs for motherboard and single plug that I have no idea how it's called and I have no socket to fit it in. Nowhere. And I figure it's supposed to go into PSU but main beam (?) of cables from PSU to motherboard doesn't have anything branching out of it as I seen in some instructions and videos.

Here are pics of those plugs:

http://i62.tinypic.com/2ikwaac.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/10miyd2.jpg

3. I've tried my best to spread even layer of thermal grease (Arctic Silver 5) on whole CPU plate and BIOS says CPU's temperature is 40C (box cooling), is it normal? Did I use not enough of thermal grease?

Thanks in advance for replies

EDIT: Ok, I figured in bios that 40 degrees is minimum that I can select for fans to react. Tho other program said CPU temp is about 30-37 degrees, varies on cores.

I butchered my laptop and installed OS on mSATA ssd drive I took out of it but I have now other problem - windows 8.1 works just fine until I install GPU drivers, and it doesn't matter if it is from disk from GPU's box, downloaded ones or installed via Windows' Device Manager. First two cause screen to blink one during install and somehow freezes, leaving system responsive to alt+tab and mouse, although I can't see cursor (icons on running programs get highlighted). Third case works untill I restart system and then happens this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3zoyB2nV3c

It's the same if I restart with power button during first 2 mentioned methods.

Sorry for quality, filmed with potato, and for derp on keyboard I just can't cope with that shieeeet anymore. *sadface*

Edited by sadampl

1. I have a power cable that goes in with one plug into PSU, and splits into two plugs 6&8 pin (two times) is it right one to plug into GPU?

Yes, should be.

Don't worry about cables you can't connect, you probably don't need them. That said, the cable on the picture would likely plug into the motherboard, simply to carry power and SATA in one package. Did it came with the board or with something else?

3. I've tried my best to spread even layer of thermal grease (Arctic Silver 5) on whole CPU plate and BIOS says CPU's temperature is 40C (box cooling), is it normal? Did I use not enough of thermal grease?

Can't tell remotely. Generally the layer is as thin as possible, while still covering the entire CPU with a mostly transparent film after touching the heatsink. Most people use too much. But for a box cooler it doesn't really matter.

8.1 works just fine until I install GPU drivers, and it doesn't matter if it is from disk from GPU's box, downloaded ones or installed via Windows' Device Manager.

Nothing obvious. Seems like something is botched with Windows install.

Tried reinstalling it?