A chance to kill Alduin early?

cephalo2

I just ran into something unusual. I had defeated Miraak and got the ability to ride dragons. Dragon riding is really pretty useless, so I tried to use the 'command dragon' mod with no luck. However, the mod did allow me to fast travel in real time on the back of a dragon, meaning that when you fast travel, instead of arriving instantly you get to see the dragon fly there with you on their back.

So I tamed my first dragon in Skyrim, and used him to do some exploring, which is probably the funnest thing to do with a rideable dragon. On the way from the Shrine of Azura to the Throat of the World, I ran into Alduin raising a named dragon! (this is after the quest with delphine, so it is a subsequent raising I guess).

I was able to target Alduin, but because I was brand new at dragon riding, I pressed the wrong key and my dragon disengaged and flew off. Grrrrr! I tried to make my way back to that location through retracing my fast travel path, but only the named dragon was there.

I killed the named dragon rather easily in a dogfight, and I learned that you can in fact absorb a dragon soul from the back of a dragon circling overhead. I'm kicking myself though that I couldn't stay and pester Alduin, as he would not have been able to fly away with me on a dragon!

I wonder what would have happened if I killed him, or how I would be prevented from killing him.

Alduin is effectively invincible during those encounters. You can damage him, but he has far too much health and doesn't engage combat himself - basically, you can't deal enough damage fast enough to take him down before he flies off. And even if you could I imagine he's marked as essential, though how exactly that changes what happens if you do get him to 0 health I have no idea.

Edited by Hyacathusarullistad

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...