FOSE in Direct2Drive

MirzaGhalib

I hope it's all right to post this topic, but I think it's something very much worth mentioning. Everywhere I've looked has said that FOSE is incompatible with the Direct2Drive version of Fallout 3. For a while I was very discouraged by this and tried desperately to find the good mods that didn't require FOSE to operate. I continually cursed myself for having purchased the d2d version but, seeing as there was nothing I could do about it, resigned myself to using mods that didn't require FOSE. I played Fallout 3, beat it, played it some more, and then uninstalled it for a year. Yesterday I reinstalled the game and refamiliarized myself with the mod scene and remembered that FOSE didn't work with the d2d version. I decided that I should at least try it and see if it does indeed not work with my d2d copy of Fallout 3 and, much to my surprise, I found that it was completely compatible. I'm not entirely sure why this is, but it most certainly is. For the moment the only mods I have loaded along with FOSE are FWE, Project Beauty, Fellout, HD Audio Overhaul, FO3 Ram Boost, and NMC's Texture Pack. As far as I can tell, the things that need FOSE in FWE work flawlessly. I am having a touch of trouble with FWE though. I accidentally set the triage hotkey to ESC and for some reason it won't let me change it. The option doesn't even appear. Anyway, does anyone know if there are certain things I should test other than FWE? I'd love to use RH_Ironsights, but I don't think it's compatible with FWE. Anyone know any differently? Oh, and I'm not sure if this has anything to do with FOSE working or not, but I installed Fallout 3 in a separate directory from the suggested directory. Anyway, I hope that others with the D2D version can get FOSE to work too.

I've just installed the mod and they do indeed follow me. Any idea why FOSE works for me and not others?

what directory is your game installed in

and this may sound like a very silly question, but just to make certain

where did you buy your direct2drive game

I've just installed the mod and they do indeed follow me. Any idea why FOSE works for me and not others?

I've installed it on my other hard drive which I've arbitrarily named the B drive under a "Games" folder and a "Bethesda" subfolder. I purchased the game at direct2drive.com. Oh, and I was mistaken when I'd said that it's been a year since I last played it. Apparently it's only been about six months since it shows that I purchased the game in November. Oh, and I still have the direct2drive installation files if someone would like to have a look. But I'll need someone to give me a place to upload it.

I've installed it on my other hard drive which I've arbitrarily named the B drive under a "Games" folder and a "Bethesda" subfolder. I purchased the game at direct2drive.com. Oh, and I was mistaken when I'd said that it's been a year since I last played it. Apparently it's only been about six months since it shows that I purchased the game in November.

well this means that you did not purchase your D2D game from Steam (yes there was a thread)

If you can repeat this feat on another machine, it might be worth posting as a step-by-step guide

heck even if you don't have another machine to try this on . . .

Edit . . .

Try this same trick on Oblivion using OBSE

It's possible that D2D has changed their protection to better compete with steam. The extra anti pirate protection was why it wouldn't work. That will be good news for those using a D2D version.

Someone try this with Oblivion and let us know if it works or not.

I've installed it on my other hard drive which I've arbitrarily named the B drive under a "Games" folder and a "Bethesda" subfolder. I purchased the game at direct2drive.com. Oh, and I was mistaken when I'd said that it's been a year since I last played it. Apparently it's only been about six months since it shows that I purchased the game in November.

well this means that you did not purchase your D2D game from Steam (yes there was a thread)

If you can repeat this feat on another machine, it might be worth posting as a step-by-step guide

heck even if you don't have another machine to try this on . . .

Edit . . .

Try this same trick on Oblivion using OBSE

Unfortunately, I don't own Oblivion for PC.

• 1 month later...

I also bought Fallout 3 from www.Direct2Drive.com and it works fine with FOSE. I'm playing FWE with MMM together and having a blast!

I will confirm also that the latest version of FOSE v1.2_Beta is working for me. I purchased Fallout 3 from D2D about a year ago and re-downloaded recently. So it is a non-GOTY edition.

Oblivion (GOTY version) for me needs a NO-CD key .exe or a non-D2D .exe to load fose normally.