Limitting Spell Learning + Compatibility

AndrealphusVIII

Hi there

I have been playing Skyrim for a very long time now (1500+ hrs accourding to Steam), but I haven't seen any mod like the one I have in mind. I don't know whether it's possible, but I thought I'd share my idea anyway.

What I'm looking for is a mod that limits the learning of spells. In Vanilla Skyrim, all you have to do, is to click a spelltome and voila, you'll "magically" (no pun intended :tongue: ) learn the spell without any effort. In theory, even a level 1 can learn Master Level spells, should they find the tome. (Which isn't actually that hard in many cases.) I find this very immersion breaking. Characters that don't have any knowledge of spells will be able to learn them without effort. In my opinion, as Farengar says, you'll need a certain aptitude to become a mage. Not every commoner in Skyrim should be able to learn each spell, in my opinion.

Vanilla Skyrim does have some perks that make certain grades (Novice, Apprentice, Adept, Expert, Master) cost half Magicka, but in my opinion, that isn't enough. There are still loads of spells that are too cheap to cast (even without the perks). And if you take any gear that raises Magicka or take the Atronach's Stone, you'll be able to cast high level spells at low level without any problem.

That's why I had the idea to make the spells more dependant on the perks. In other words, you'll be able to learn the spell by reading the tome, but as long as you don't have the corresponding perk, the spell will be greyed out in your spell menu. Like Shouts require Dragon Souls to be unlocked, spells will need a corresponding perk to be unlocked.

So instead of making a perk reduce the Magicka cost by half, make them so that they are required to cast a spell. For instance, you'll need the Novice Restoration perk to unlock spells like Healing.

I am wondering, is this possible by just editting the perks, or does every spell needs to editted to make this work? In case of the last one, that will make it much more of a hassle, as there are so many awesome spell mods that I like to keep in my load order. So I'm looking for a way to make this mod compatible with every other mod that adds spells. Is that even remotely possible?

So, to sum up, I want to request a mod that:

• Make spells require a perk to be unlocked, corresponding their school (Restoration/Destruction/Illusion/Alteration/Conjuration) and their grade (Novice/Apprentice/Adept/Expert/Master) -> For instance Healing = Restoration Novice
  • Make it compatible with every other mod which adds spells, without the use of manual patches (preferably by only editting the perks and leaving the actual spells untouched.)

My question: Is this possible?

Thanks in advance

Kind regards

Andre

Edit: I am aware there is a mod that does something similar called Tomes - Immersive Spell Learning ( http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/43057/? ), but it needs many patches and I'm not sure it's still being continued.

Edited by AndrealphusVIII