Help With LOOT, TES5EDIT

ShrooMooo

So, I run Skyrim on a less-than-optimum-system (lousy graphics card, 4 Gb RAM).

I use 89 mods and Skyrim runs fairly smooth (on low of course).

CTD's every now and then, but I save often.......not a big deal.

LOOT seems to work well, but I have a couple of concerns. LOOT tells me I have 17 "dirty mods" and 1 mod with a deleted navmesh record.

Reading hundreds of forums, half of people say "Clean the dirty mods!" and the other half say "DO NOT (EVER) clean the dirtymods!" Do I clean them, or no? Will this help CTD and performance?

And is the deleted navmesh fatal, bad, or nothing? ( it's the Explorer Dungeons Pack 1 )

Guess I just want a couple opinions.......any advice would be useful!

If I need to post the LOOT report, let me know.

Thanks, Chris Dovahkiin

Like for so many issues in life, the loudest voices tend to be the zealous minorities on each side of the spectrum. So, some treat dirty edits like the bubonic plague, while others condemn anyone who even thinks about cleaning a dirty edit. My personal opinion is that in reality, dirty edits aren't important enough to warrant the excitement of either side.

Most dirty edits reported by LOOT are ITM records (identical to master). These can usually be cleaned, but even if left alone, they won't usually cause big problems. There are certain occasions where mod authors leave in ITM edits on purpose. But most of the time they are accidental. I don't think they're likely to cause CTDs, but they may cause the occasional unlucky mod to not work quite right.

I tend to think that if an ITM needs to be left untouched, then the author will be conscious of that and will mention it in his/her mod page. If there's no mention of it on the mod page, then I think it's safe to assume that the ITMs are unintended and can be safely removed. Personally, I've removed the ITMs from most of my mods, after checking the relevant mod pages.

Deleted records are a different story. They can cause a CTD and are bad news. However, these seem to be very rare in mods. The only ones I've seen are in the official files like update.esm or dawnguard.esm. These ones can and should be "undeleted" with tes5edit. Search for Gopher's video on the subject.

Navmeshes: I personally don't know much about these. My understanding is that they're hard to fix, so you may as well not worry about them since you can't do much about them anyway.

Ahhhhh........thank you! Then, I'll clean. None of the mod authors for my mods mentioned that the mods were already cleaned, and as for the navmesh.......I honestly haven't noticed anything.

Thank you for the peace of mind!

Altho YES ..ITM are benign, and should not cause crashes,,they DO cause other mods to not work as intended.

Mod a loads first...it changes a piece of Armor to have High rating...

Mod b loads after....IT has an ITM on that piece of armor.....your just lost your Stats. As they reverted back to what the master (Skyrim.esm) had.

A deleted Reference is a no brainer...it WILL cause a crash if a mod asks for it.

So yes ...IF told to clean a mod by... LOOT/BOSS, trust that many people have agreed the mod needs cleaning.

Altho YES ..ITM are benign, and should not cause crashes,,they DO cause other mods to not work as intended.

Mod a loads first...it changes a piece of Armor to have High rating...

Mod b loads after....IT has an ITM on that piece of armor.....your just lost your Stats. As they reverted back to what the master (Skyrim.esm) had.

A deleted Reference is a no brainer...it WILL cause a crash if a mod asks for it.

So yes ...IF told to clean a mod by... LOOT/BOSS, trust that many people have agreed the mod needs cleaning.

Ah! Never has it been so easily explained! Perhaps you have the Thu'um?? lol

But seriously, thanks. Can clean with peace of mind now.

• 1 year later...

I have had a problem when cleaning, Loot says to clean quite a few things including the master files (obviously Skyrim master files excluded) and a lot of individual mods.

I have gone through the steps on Tes5Edit tutorials, cleaning all the mods that were flagged including the Master DLC(s) which then caused the game to crash. Afterwards I ended up cleaning ONLY the master files Update and DLC (Dawnguard onwards) which caused the same problem when loading into the actual game through the movable preview screen of whatever Skyrim wants to show you.

Not only that but on realisation I checked Wrye Bash and most if not all I had cleaned became red/problematic.

This prompted me to revert through file validation and be at square 1 again.

SO what I would like to know is...

Even though I followed the tutorials exactly to the word,

1. Where did I go wrong?
  2. Why did cleaning up my game render it useless?
  3. How would I fix Wryes mod list so that I can clean and make the game usable?
  4. Am I just trying to do too much?

I have been working on this for 5-6 hours now and keep coming up trumps.

Thanks for the help in advance.

First thing I'd do is go back to Steam and check the integrity of the game cache for Skyrim. That will reinstall all the original ESM files complete with the ITMS and UDR's LOOT says they have.

Then just do one file at a time. Start with update.esm and save after each one. If you've cleaned a file properly it shouldn't cause crashes like you're having.

• 1 year later...

I understand TES5Edit would be the best and safest way to clean my master files, but I can't download it.

I've tried downloading "TES5Edit 3.2 ZIP" and I got an empty archive... then downloaded "TES5Edit 3.1.3 ZIP"... and I got errors after erors when I tried to extract the content.

I downloaded both from Nexus... http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/25859/?tab=2&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fskyrim%2Fajax%2Fmodfiles%2F%3Fid%3D25859&pUp=1

So, can somebody tell me what to do, because LOOT tells me I have 4 DirtyPlugins... and they are Update.esm, Dawnguard.esm, HearthFires.esm, Dragonborn.esm

UPPDATE:

Sorry... don't know how to delete this message

I found the problem... my winrar had some issues... so I uninstaled it... reboot pc... install again... and it's ok...

Edited by Marcy79

• 5 months later...