2 shouts from 1 wall?

Kiruah

Okay so. I came to the Auttumn watch tower as the greybeards had send me there.

and while i was running to the wall and learning the words.
I happened to learn 2?
The same word used in Mark for death was also added to Drainvitality? or dsmay or.. soemthing?

the words translation thats in 2 shouts is: Leech.

Tho googling i saw this can cause me issues with further gaining words for these shouts?

however while checking my map with the locations for the dismay shout i appear to not reconsie the landmarks of where those should have come from..

Now im only lv31 but i love my save. this is my first character.

(i only own the game sicne a month or 2, finaly got a pc that could handle the epicness)

so. How to i solve this?
I am on a PC if this can help with console commands.

i have the legendary edition of skyrim too.

i have went back to the save from before fighting the dragon and learning the words of power.

But is there a way to avoid further issues without losing my save/starting over?

Thank you kindly for any help i can get.

Edited by Kiruah

That's a big introduced by the Dawnguard DLC. I used to know the specifics of it, but it's been fixed by the Unofficial Dawnguard Patch for so long now that I'm a little hazy on how it happens. I do remember that once it's happened there's no way to fix it, though. You'll have two copies of Drain Vitality in your shout inventory from now until you start over; one of them replaces Marked for Death. And from what I recall you can't progress any further with either shout, either, though I could be mistaken on that.

The best thing you can do is re-load a save from before you learned the word, install the UDGP, and proceed as normal from there. Your other option would be to reload a save from before you learned the word(s), avoid all three Drain Vitality word walls until you've learned all three words for Marked for Death, then continue as normal. The former is preferable, though the latter worked just fine for my wife on the console version (for which this bug has no actual fix, simply the aforementioned workaround).

I see.

i had not saved the moment of learning the 2 shouts and actually went back to before going to the word wall. so i ONLY have the first word for 'Marked for Death' shout and i see NO drain vitality in my shoutlist anymore.

does this mean i can safely install the patch you had mentiond?

sicne i only have the word 'Krii/Kill' for MFD, and no words for the Drain vitality on this save?

(i didnt save because i got worried)

As far as I know, installing the Unofficial Patches on an existing save is perfectly safe. And if you have no save in which you've learned any of the words for Drain Vitality, all the better.

Just be sure that when you install the Unofficial Patch, create a backup of your save first -- just go into your Games > Skyrim > Saves folder and copy/paste the [savename].ess file, then rename one of them to [savename].BAC or something. If you've got SKSE, then you should do the same with the save's associated SKSE file as well (I forget the file extension for this offhand). This is a good practise to get into whenever you install mods during an existing playthrough, honestly.

ohdear. uhm a backup? i never done that before.. and im not certain how todo this. im kind of a erm. derpy person about this sort of thing.

Uhm lets see. Can you tell it again step by step?

I am not natively english (my game is english). but some explanations miss the target sometimes.

i see.

also Uhm. where would this be in my laod order when i install it?

I sofar have these dlcs:
dawnguard

dragonborn

hearthfire.

You'll want to place the Unofficial Patch immediately after its associated DLC. So your load order should look like this:

Skyrim.esm

Update.esm

Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp

Dawnguard.esm

Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp

Hearthfire.esm

Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp
Dragonborn.esm
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp

If you don't have the other Unofficial Patches already, you should download and install them as well. Together they fix a whole host of bugs that can cause all sorts of problems. Even mid-playthrough, they're a huge help.

As for creating a backup of your save, it's very simple:

• Navigate to your save folder (by default it should be Documents > Games > Skyrim > Saves);
  • Select the save you want to back up, which will be named Save [#] - [Character Name].ess;
  • Hit Ctrl+C (copy) then CTRL+V (paste);
  • Rename the .ess - Copy file to .ess.BAC.

You also may not see the .ess file extension, just the file name. Don't worry, that's a setting that some versions of Windows activate by default. It's perfectly normal, though it makes the above procedure a lot more difficult. If this is the case, create a new folder elsewhere on your computer, copy your save, then paste it into the new location instead. It's a little messier, IMO, but works just as well.

Edited by Hyacathusarullistad

You'll want to place the Unofficial Patch immediately after its associated DLC. So your load order should look like this:

Skyrim.esm

Update.esm

Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp

Dawnguard.esm

Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp

Hearthfire.esm

Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp

Dragonborn.esm

Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp

If you don't have the other Unofficial Patches already, you should download and install them as well. Together they fix a whole host of bugs that can cause all sorts of problems. Even mid-playthrough, they're a huge help.

As for creating a backup of your save, it's very simple:

• Navigate to your save folder (by default it should be Documents > Games > Skyrim > Saves);
  • Select the save you want to back up, which will be named Save [#] - [Character Name].ess;
  • Hit Ctrl+C (copy) then CTRL+V (paste);
  • Rename the .ess - Copy file to .ess.BAC.

You also may not see the .ess file extension, just the file name. Don't worry, that's a setting that some versions of Windows activate by default. It's perfectly normal, though it makes the above procedure a lot more difficult. If this is the case, create a new folder elsewhere on your computer, copy your save, then paste it into the new location instead. It's a little messier, IMO, but works just as well.

i see. uhm.. I dont have the update. nor the unofficial patches.

uhm my skyri is in the steam map. doe sthat bother anyhow into finding my savefiles?

and do you have a link to these patches?

and are there any mods known to clash with these? (incase i have them then i can remove them)

Im very thankfull for the help here. i get so utterly stressed when things go wrong.

Re: conflicts, the vast majority of mods carry over changes made by the Unofficial Patches into their own mods. You can also do this yourself for mods whose authors have not done this, but it requires basic knowledge of TES5Edit -- as well as an understanding of which records you want the mod to overwrite from the Patch and which records are better to carry over. This can seem complicated for novice mod users.

As for not having the update... the Unofficial Dawnguard Patch won't work without Update.esm. It's a hard requirement - your game won't even start without it. This is the case with all the Unofficial Patches. In fact, it's true of the DLCs themselves as well. Are you sure you don't have Update.esm installed? If not, the fact that you're playing with the DLCs is... let's say "strange" instead of "suspicious". Make sure game updates are enabled in Steam, and let it update your game to the newest version.

i see. uhm. im not sure how todo that if honnest.

sorry i am quite the noob. i only have skyrim sicne 2 months now. and honnestly i havnt been able to play most games for years on computter.

just did some random searching on this site and i found this: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/22197/?

is that one also reliable?

Im sorry im such a handfull. quite nooby here.

I have no idea. I haven't used that mod, as it fixes a bug already repaired by the UDGP.

You'll want to open Steam, right click on Skyrim in your library (found on the left-hand side of the main menu when you open the program), click Properties, then find the Updates tab in the window that opens. Make sure you've got it set to update automatically, and then make sure you have an internet connection so Steam can install the newest version of the game.

The patches won't work without the latest version. In fact the game can't even start properly with the patches installed if you don't have Update.esm. Many mods require the latest version to function properly, either directly or through their reliance on SKSE, which also requires the most recent version of Skyrim.