Total Skyrim Meltdown (third time and counting...)

twowolves80

I will be downloading that tonight and reporting my results tomorrow. Hopefully, the set up as it stands now is stable and low-impact enough to sustain past the 35th level... Does having too many missions checked as active in the Journal put strain on the game? Or does it matter whether they are checked or not? For safety purposes, I'm going to limit it to 8-10 quests active at any time just to be sure. I'll let you be the judge of the results of the tests to determine whether HiAlgoBoost will be needed. (I'll start a fight in Whiterun with the guards so five or six of them come running. That ought to strain the system.)

There it is. This was using a clean save with the above mods active (the stripped-down list). Seeing this, HiAlgoBoost, or no? Do you still think ENBoost is needed when my VRAM is bottomed out? Or does this thing even have VRAM? lol Ran around Riverwood, then went and started a fight in the middle of Whiterun with a handful of guards. The lowest FPS drop was when first entering Whiterun (24, I think). Also, seeing these results, how likely is it that if add any other mods, no matter how small, it will crash the game?

http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah302/twowolves80/Screenshot_1_zps9b06cc1c.jpeg

You're using an Intel 4000, that's why your VRAM is bottomed out. No matter what you do, it's not going to go higher because that GPU has only 64MB memory. It's designed to use your system RAM as VRAM, which is why your RAM usage is so high. Skyrim is a 32-bit program, meaning it's impossible for it to use more than 4GB of RAM for itself. I just finally realized why ENBoost won't work for you, I didn't realize it before. With a normal RAM, it reflects VRAM usage (thus decreasing available RAM for the game), which is what you try to avoid using ENBoost. In your case, VRAM=RAM, so there is no reflection. Your RAM is maxing out already at 24FPS (the game ideally should run at 30FPS, that's what it was designed for), which means that's as much as it can take already. Adding another mod that causes your game to want more RAM will make you crash.

Theoretically, you should get additional system RAM, to give more space, since the Intel 4000 can use up to 1.3GB system RAM for VRAM, then the game will take another 4GB for itself, making it need 5.3GB of RAM. Windows 7 or 8, with nothing running in the background, typically uses anywhere from 512-1.5GB RAM. You'd want 6-8GB of RAM to be able to maximize your hardware's capability. At that point, you'll only be limited by hardware capabilities like read/write speeds and bus sizes and other technical stuff which you can't do anything about other than get new hardware.

Hialgoboost will help in keeping off stuttering, but it won't increase performance. Any mod you should add should be those that doesn't put greater strain on your GPU than what you have already experienced.

I know that laptops are intrinsically unfriendly towards enthusiasts...i.e., modding, so I'm wondering if it would even be possible to plug in more RAM. Now I finally know why ENBoost does not work for me. That is worth it's weight in gold. As far as adding mods that don't increase RAM usage, do you have some examples? It's running pretty stable right now, averaging between 40-50 fps, and the CPU isn't hot for a change. Honestly, I have most of the mods I want, though I wonder if the optimized vanilla texture mods would help decrease RAM usage further...? Texture refinement mods are an obvious no-no, but ones that "cheat" the resolution and give the illusion of greater detail might work, I think...

The only mods I could conceivably want to include are ones like the Pelagius Wing add-on (to turn it into a private home), or ones like you mention, increase the playable areas by expanding storylines, etc. And RS Children Overhaul is a definite no, but what about Convenient Horses? That adds a few small options, but nothing too serious. See, that would be a suggestion for another thread--have all mods start including stats like estimated RAM, CPU, and GPU impact so we could better calculate which mods would work together better.

The mods I really want to add are big NOs: The airship mods that actually let you fly them around. I know those are RAM hogs, though, so...c'est la vie. Any mods, though, that you can suggest that won't increase RAM usage, would be greatly appreciated. I know you said the Elsweyr mod might be worth it, too. I'm still not even finished with all the stuff in the vanilla Skyrim, though! lol I've been playing for over a year, too, and that's why I love Skyrim. The sandbox is huge.

Reading this thread I would say that at this point in time *STOP*

Go play in the sandbox and have fun finding stuff you have yet to find.

In a couple months consider playing with the mods again, after you have wandered around the game world and feel like you have found everything.

When you can I would consider a desktop computer. tomeshardware.com has quarterly posts on system building for various budget levels.

example:

System Builder Marathon Q3 2014: Budget Gaming PC

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-budget-gaming-pc,3943.html

RAM is upgradeable on laptops. I've always upgraded RAM on laptops. Just bring it to a shop. The RAM is just a little piece of hardware you can swap out.

Convenient horses should be fine. It doesn't really add anything. Just some more options. As to examples, it depends entirely in your preferences. I'm more of an immersion and increased difficulty type.