Immersive Map idea

deathbymanga

so, i don't know if it's been made yet, but i don't think i've seen this around, so i'm assuming it hasn't.

Imagine, instead of opening a Map with the M-key and pausing the game, you instead pull out a map that is recorded with your travels. The map is divided into the regions of Skyrim, and is in turn, folded up to allow for you to carry in one hand.

You can purchase or craft magic ink that when used, lets you draw routes to locations, similar to Google Maps does. And you can purchase maps with existing locations mapped out on it, but those are expensive. Treasure maps can be marked on your map, and you can even get fake maps that fool you or lead you to traps. And the more routes you uncover, the more you uncover on your actual map.

Also, a passing thought, but what if there's like an Adventurer Skill Tree that gets added that lets you work with skills like Realistic Needs and Diseases and Frostfall, as well as grants a perk to the map-making by letting you learn about cartography, being able to map out altitudes and determine how steep roads are. The more experience you get as an adventurer, the smarter your routes get, and the easier you are at uncovering secret maps and locations.

This idea stemmed mostly from the fact that I love to play Skyrim for the adventuring, rather than the fighting or questing, and i tend to use my map a lot to get around Skyrim (No Fast Traveling) a lot and it gets annoying and looses the immersion when i have to pause the game to find out where i am.

Maybe there could be a Lost-perk, where if you are opening your map, and then look around you, you can zero in on where you are, judging distance and everything. Heck, maybe even get "mental notes" tell you how far you are to your destination when running.