4k graphics on 1080p tv?

yudhi108

I have a 46" HD smart 1080p TV by samsung. Great TV, fantastic even, but I'm wondering if there's any point in installing 4k graphics into my skyrim game with only a 1080p tv.

Will I notice a big difference over 2k graphics?

mmm been thinking about your statement there postal001,

in my understanding,,,,a 1080 screen will only display a max res of,,,,,,,,,,wait for it,,,,,,,,,,,,1080.

It CANNOT display 4k, it is incapable, as its not 4k.

What it will show is the 1080 res portion of the 4k signal.

So as camaro_69_327 has said, it gona be a waste of time.

it gona be a waste of time.

Your whole comment regarding this topic is a waste of web space since it shows that you have absolutely no clue of this subject.

The resoultion of a texture itself has nothing to do with the resolution of a monitor.

The same texture in 4k will always look better than its counterpart in 2k. Although I have to admit that the difference is sometimes hard to notice the smaller the object is.

And where did camaro said it's a waste of time?!

Maybe you should discuss this with the author of this mod

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/58461/?

and tell him it's pointless to have 8k textures since I'm not aware of an affordable 8k monitor!

Edited by Novem99

It's obvious that he misunderstood the question since it is not that clear.

"4K Textures on 1080p Resolution" would be a much better title for this thread.

He just basically said that you can not get 4K resolution on a 1080P that's all, it's not wrong, it's just not the answer of the question asked here, that's all.

You don't need to be so aggressive about it.

Edited by Amyr

mmm been thinking about your statement there postal001,

in my understanding,,,,a 1080 screen will only display a max res of,,,,,,,,,,wait for it,,,,,,,,,,,,1080.

It CANNOT display 4k, it is incapable, as its not 4k.

What it will show is the 1080 res portion of the 4k signal.

So as camaro_69_327 has said, it gona be a waste of time.

This thread is discussing 4k TEXTURES, not 4k monitors. Read and understand the question.

Edited by postal001

I use a variety of textures, 8k, 4k, 2k, etc. There are 2 common misconceptions that i can shed some light on from my experiences. There is no doubt in my mind, whatsoever, that 4k looks better then 2k on a 1080p monitor. The difference is as clear as the nose on my characters 4k face. Secondly, Despite me having one of the most powerful renditions of one of the most powerful cards, the GTX 780 TI, my card still cant pull much more then 30 FPS due to my textures / ENB. However, any FPS above 30 doesn't make any difference. FACT. Unless you have a few of one of the top 3 GPUs in SLI then don't expect to get 60+ FPS with the majority of your textures at 4k or higher. Your Graphics card is the most important thing here, you really want 4GB of Vram, if not more. As i said, i'm kinda pushing it with only 3 GB of Vram, albeit fast Vram. Despite being beaten on performance by the basic Nvidia GTX 980, the 295 X2 is better for high res textures due to having 8GB VRAM. However, if the predictions are true then the new version of the GTX 980 due in december will have 8gb VRAM too and will no doubt be much faster too and possibly cheaper. So if you don't have a 4gb+ Vram GPU and want to buy one and have the money then hold on till December or later. Trust me, 4k Skyrim is well worth the wait. Even Uthgerd looks pretty damn good!

Edited by Nazgren

It's simple: 4k textures will always be higher quality than 2k no matter what monitor you use. See it like this: the texture is 4k which is prettier than 2k. Your monitor is a tool to look at this texture, the better the tool the better the picture. Looking at a 2k texture with a shitty monitor will look worse than looking at a 4k texture with the same shitty monitor.