The Currently Reading Thread .........

karkarinus

I dunno if its in a series, although I think it might have something to do with a vampyre book he did a while ago, I'm not sure - I don't deal with the kids section :D

Theta and karkarinus, that sounds about right, more fool me for not recognising it :D Fortunately I've now found a new author who is ace, Peter K. Hamilton. I'm currently reading Pandora's Star and, as the blurb reviews say, he makes intelligent space opera work. I would recommend it to anyone - don't be put off by the size of it (800+ pages in the hardback) you really don't notice it, and the sci-fi terms are so much better handled than D ick, it feels so natural.

Anyways, that's that one. I have a question though, has anyone read Tom Clancy, and if so what do you think of his works?

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone give me any insight into the work of H.P. Lovecraft or Edgar Allan Poe?

I was kindly given a selection of Poe's short stories for Christmas, but sadly it is in Spanish. I imagine that in its original language, his work has a dark, misterious air about it, and kind of whisks you off into his worlds, but this feeling is lost in translation, and only manages to do my head in with long cumbersome sentences, far too long for their own good! Or is it like that in English too?

I am also thinking of buying a couple of Lovecraft books: "The Best of H.P. Lovecraft: Bloodcurdling Tales of Horror and the Macabre," and "The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories." These have always been really enticing to me, but I've never got round to reading them. Any comments?

The Davinci code movie was better than the book.I read my two novels."Gold Heat" about a boy in WW2 who parents died and lives in a tunnel.It is finished."Destrap" is a book about a terorist atacking The White House and kil president Kenedy and how it would be without a president.It is about a little worst than having Bush LOL. :P .I write alot a music and play it on the guitar.

Really? Everyone I've talked to about it says its pish - I haven't summoned the energy to see it yet. On the "youth in WWII" theme I read a book years ago, called something like "Land of the Rising Sun", about a lad whose parents are killed in Shanghai and then being somehow sent to an internment camp. As I recall it was an excellent book, well worht the read. If only I could remember its name... :)

I still haven't got round to seeing the DVC film, but from what I've heard it's fairly true to the film but misses the mark somewhat. Having said that, my mum thinks that the book goes o.t.t. about some aspects. I still maintain that it was a compelling read, although it lacks re-read appeal.

Loveme: could that book have been "Empire of the Sun" by J.G. Ballard? It was made into a film by Spielberg. Autobiographical and I suppose deeply moving, although I haven't read the book or seen the film - myself, I prefer more 'escapism' when I read. I need to be transported away much further than even Japan! :D The closest I've got to gritty realism is "Hard Times" by D¡ckens, and "Crime and Punishment" by Dostoievsky, the latter of which I haven't finished yet. I have to force myself to read it, which can't be good!

Deathmatch: I was wondering if your first language is English, because from what I have seen, DVC seems to lose a lot in translation to other languages.

Another 'adventures of an orphaned child' story, although dramatically different from anything you've ever read is "The Perfume" by Patrick Süskind. I think it was originally in German, but even in Spanish it was absolutely enthralling. Do not be put off by the title - you will not believe your... er.... nose!

(EDIT: That dawg-gawn anti-swear again! Can't even write D¡ckens without it bleeping me out!)

Edited by karkarinus

Really? Everyone I've talked to about it says its pish - I haven't summoned the energy to see it yet. On the "youth in WWII" theme I read a book years ago, called something like "Land of the Rising Sun", about a lad whose parents are killed in Shanghai and then being somehow sent to an internment camp. As I recall it was an excellent book, well worht the read. If only I could remember its name... :)

Karkarinus is right, definitely Empire of the Sun. I own a copy, the movie is excellent.

"Destrap" is now finished.You guys got me to remember to write the last chapter.I am now starting a oblivion based book called "Open Evil.Which is only 9 chapters.About what goes on in the Oblivion world. o_O

• 2 weeks later...

I finished Voyage of the Dawn Treader and am now reading The Silver Chair. The 6th book in the Chronicles of Narnia.

I must say, C.S Lewis' writing gets better and better as the series progresses, there are lots of dark moments in his books, some truly frightening ones as well. Even for a horror fantatic like me and I just love fantasy and horror combined.

Also, while it is a kids book, he is not shy about the subject of death and many a seeminingly notable or innocent character have met an untimely and depressing end.

I finished Voyage of the Dawn Treader and am now reading The Silver Chair. The 6th book in the Chronicles of Narnia.

I must say, C.S Lewis' writing gets better and better as the series progresses, there are lots of dark moments in his books, some truly frightening ones as well. Even for a horror fantatic like me and I just love fantasy and horror combined.

Also, while it is a kids book, he is not shy about the subject of death and many a seeminingly notable or innocent character have met an untimely and depressing end.

The Narnia books are on my list to read after seeing the movie last year. I read C.S. Lewis adult fantasy trilogy Out of the Silent Planet/Perelandra/That Hideous Strength many years ago and enjoyed those. Probably worth looking into if you have enjoyed Narnia.

J. G. Ballard is an excellent , albeit often rather strange, writer in general although I haven't read Empire of the Sun but did thoroughly enjoy the movie. Another book on my to be read list. Also, seeing the movie may provide some insight into why many of Ballard's books are rather strange.

I just finished reading Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clark. One of my dad's countless old books he recommended I read. Never read anything else by him, but the book was very good. A sci-fi about these guys who search an alien ship drifting through space. I loved the author's use of real physics terms in this ship that uses centrifical force as gravity, makes it more believeable. A very good read.

Currently rereading the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. The first time I read the series I got halfway through the third book Life the Universe, and Everything. Then I stopped for reasons I cannot remember. I love this book. Is is the funniest book I have ever read, period. Thinking of putting a joke from it into my sig too, something short and sweet.