Dead mod section

Deleted809848User

Its a shame to see some of those potentially good mods have been created and then go cold dead turkey. Thus brings me to my suggestion. I'd like to suggest a "Dead(Graveyard) Mod Section" should be added. This way it can keep the site more organized and keep some modders safe from corrupting their game with a mod that will probably not see another update. It also might help with continuation some of those dead mods, the ones where the author said go ahead do whatever just credit me or not etc, back to life. Or inspire some modders to create there own version from looking at a dead mod. Good idea, bad idea? What say you folks?

What exactly makes a mod 'dead' in your eyes though? And since when did finished mod projects which haven't seen another update in years, but worked reliably and without error for more than 5, all of a sudden 'corrupt' anybody's game?

If you want to label abandoned mods with red flashing "do not use!" warning signs, or move them into some sort of 'quarantine' area as proposed, you need to come up with some way better definition of when exactly a mod "shouldn't" be used. Just because the author left after the work was done and won't provide any further updates anymore, it doesn't mean the mod is somehow damaged or dangerous, as the opening post makes it sound.

I copy the notion of labeling your mod pages appropriately 'before' you leave the scene, so if there is anybody interested in using parts of it, or 'carrying it on' as it was called, they know exactly what can and cannot be done with your consent and permission. But as was said, there already was such a system in place for quite a while now, and it hasn't exactly seen any use by the authors around here so far.

Go ahead, come up with some fresh new ideas to perhaps 'resurrect' it or blow some new life into it, if you like, :thumbsup:

but don't just ask for a system to 'protect' users from potentially damaged mods, only based on the lack of future updates to them, as that's what the opening post sounds like to me. :down:

Of course implementing such a system would have to use a little more thought.

My idea is about the same thing as you are saying and I should been more specific. Though I thought I would get no response so I used a brief and short statement with no specifications. And so here is better version of what I am trying to say.

Mods that could be carried on, hence given obvious permissions, be put in one category. So that maybe one could continue its progression until finished, stable or until the author feels it is reached as far it can due to engine limitation. Dead mods or use at your own risk mods, mods that have been sitting around since 2011 including inactivity of original author with obvious bugs, stabilization issues and incompatibility due to Skyrim version or skse, be put in another category. This way anyone new to modding will not run into critical issues. And if these mods wish to be resurrected show activity from original author thus have to contact administration to do so. In conclusion, there is nothing wrong with little protection and organization. Finished mods are a different subject for obvious reasons. They have earned there place among the community with, votes and endorsements. And obvious announcements of being finished. They did not make file of the month or top 100 for no reason. All opinions welcomed.

Edited by Guest

Had one. Modders upon leaving the community could post their works in that section and anyone interested in carrying on with it could. Funny thing is that it was never really implemented or it folded pretty quickly. I don't know what ever happened to it.

Rabbit

What exactly makes a mod 'dead' in your eyes though? And since when did finished mod projects which haven't seen another update in years, but worked reliably and without error for more than 5, all of a sudden 'corrupt' anybody's game?

If you want to label abandoned mods with red flashing "do not use!" warning signs, or move them into some sort of 'quarantine' area as proposed, you need to come up with some way better definition of when exactly a mod "shouldn't" be used. Just because the author left after the work was done and won't provide any further updates anymore, it doesn't mean the mod is somehow damaged or dangerous, as the opening post makes it sound.

I copy the notion of labeling your mod pages appropriately 'before' you leave the scene, so if there is anybody interested in using parts of it, or 'carrying it on' as it was called, they know exactly what can and cannot be done with your consent and permission. But as was said, there already was such a system in place for quite a while now, and it hasn't exactly seen any use by the authors around here so far.

Go ahead, come up with some fresh new ideas to perhaps 'resurrect' it or blow some new life into it, if you like, :thumbsup:

but don't just ask for a system to 'protect' users from potentially damaged mods, only based on the lack of future updates to them, as that's what the opening post sounds like to me. :down:

I'm not terribly fond of the new trend to constantly update mods myself. Causes waay more problems than any old reliable mods ever did. Maybe what we really need is a "golden oldies" section for older awesome mods that are stable and have been around for forever.

Edited by Oubliette

I'm not terribly fond of the new trend to constantly update mods myself. Causes waay more problems than any old reliable mods ever did. Maybe what we really need is a "golden oldies" section for older awesome mods that are stable and have been around for forever.

Indeed, many good mods have been ruined by authors who don't know when to stop.

You mean something like this? :geek:

Not exactly "Golden Oldies", since it will include some that have received recent updates.

But pretty close. :cool: