texture troubles exporting .nifs from 3DS max

Vadnais

I tried looking this problem up and found nothing so im hoping I can get some help here. I'm trying to make an armor mod and I'm noticing a consistent issue when trying to export the nifs. The texture data seems to revert to an incomplete path and the scale of the textures is set to x-0 y-0 instead of both staying at 1.

For example, the path in the .nif when i export it from the .bsa will be "armor\orcish\male_cuirass.dds" which wont work as it requires the "textures\" directory in front, so i'll add it to make "textures\armor\orcish\male_cuirass.dds" before i import it into 3DS max, however, when i export that from 3DS it will revert to the original path thats missing the textures\ directory.

On a separate note when i exported the hide armor .nifs from the .bsa the male armors all had the female textures being referenced, which don't line up with the UV's but somehow the armors in the game are working just fine. Anyone happen to know why that is?

I have to redo my armor's scaling to the _1 body but i'd like to wait until i can get an answer here to save myself the headache of changing every texture path for the armors back to the correct one. So if you have any idea what's going on please let me know so I can change it. :)

Rather surprised you didn't find the answer already through Google. It's fairly common knowledge that you always need to copy the BSLightingShaderProperty from a vanilla mesh onto your new one using NifSkope. 3DS Max pretty much always messes up that data on export.

The issue I have is that its even doing it when i import my addon armor to edit sizes or fix the meshes skin weights. When I export it the texture paths go from fixed to broken again. To walk you through what I mean i'll list the steps i mean:

1. New armor is put together, weighted, and exported to nifskope.

2. Open nifskope and fix the scaling and texture paths so they work in-game.

3. After testing movement, import the nif back into 3DS max to alter the skin weights.

4. export from 3DS max

5. open in nifskope and the shader scaling and texture paths are reset to the wrong paths and scaling is at 0 again.

Does that still require me to copy shader properties from another mesh or should it be retaining the changes I make before I start step 3?

Every time you export you need to copy a new BSLightingShaderProperty. To save time, keep a version of your armor with the correct BSLightingShaderProperty and use it as a template for every time you export a new version of that particular mesh. So all you should have to do in the end is open up your new exported armor in NifSkope, click Remove Branch over the messed up shader property then Paste the correct BSLightingShaderProperty onto the mesh.

Edited by Kraeten