Multiple Skyrim setups without "profiles"

I have had great success with your system (manually renaming the folders rather than symlinks tho) of SETUPs. I've been able to switch back and forth between SETUPs and back things up nicely but now I've come accross a situation where I don't know how to proceed. I reinstalled windows (decided to go back to win7, f*** win8.1).

What I don't know is if I need to reinstall all the programs, specifically: NMM, Wrye Bash, L00t, Bodyslide, Tes5edt, and any others that I can't think of atm, before I copy my old SETUP's to the common folder. There's a fresh Steam install of Skyrim on my computer, but it's still vanilla and none of the forementioned programs are installed. If I just copy all my backups, will that install the programs for me, and will windows (7) recognize that the programs are installed if I dn't go through a "normal" installation process, and instead just copy all the hard files for said programs from my backups?

I hope I stated my question very clearly. Thanks in advance :)

I think I understand. I have ZERO experience with Win8/8.1, so I'm not sure if there is a directory structure change involved or not.

The problem here is registry entries. Installs usually update the registry, restoring a previous copy will not. If the directory structure is the same between your Win8 and Win7 setups, it may work fine, but your Win7 version will be missing (possibly needed) registry info. If I were switching OS's, I would definitely re-install programs unless I KNEW they didn't have registry settings. Usually, those type programs are simply extracted from an archive file and don't have an install program or .msi with them. The other problem with making a simple copy restore is that sometimes a program has data stashed in weird directories somewhere that wasn't backed up.

And I simply don't know how well a Win8 backup will transfer to Win7, if you're talking about system backups. I guess they transfer in a forward direction (Win7 -> Win8) okay, but have no idea how a "downgrade" might work since Win8 may have things Win7 doesn't.

You don't want to hear it, but I would re-install PROGRAMS on a new OS, but I would certainly try to just copy data (the SETUPS). PITA, I know.

Edited by Lord Garon

I reinstalled WryeBash, LOOT, and NMM to the same directories I installed them to on my previous OS. I'm not sure what to do about bodyslide, and FNIS though. Will try just throwing my SETUP into the fray now and test if bodyslide and FNIS works.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

First of all, Lord Garon may have stopped following this thread, but I want to thank him again. This thread, and the info within, has allowed me to take a one year break from Skyrim, build a couple new PC's, install new windows, blah blah blah, and then just reload all my game files and start playing an old game SETUP just like that!

Some info for how I did it:

I wasn't sure what to do about FNIS, BODYSLIDE, etc., but what I did was install Skyrim to the usual location, and installed NMM, Loot, WryeBash, and Tes5edit to the usual location I install them to. Next I installed SKSE, and the ONLY mod I installed before transferring my old SETUP was CBBE with the bodyslide and fnis installed. Then I transfered the files, and voila, started playing an old setup that I'd previously (last year) spent 6 months modding! So awesome!

I wanted to make sure bodyslide and fnis were installed and recognized before transfering files to make sure my PC recognized the programs as installed when I put their respective files on my PC, and it worked.

Thanks again Lord Garon and thanks everyone who participated in this thread. It's been very helpful.

I hope it helps others as well. It's so good, I feel like I should go spam this as a guide. Hey this could become an official guide if it was condensed and cleaned up a bit.

-yudhi

• 6 months later...

Anyone know what happened to Lord Garon? Says he was banned. Not complaining, just wondering. I liked him a lot and he helped me a lot.

If you look at the posting history, you'll see they requested an account closure. The IP.Board framework doesn't provide any other state then "banned", but "closed" accounts are logged in a different location to be able to tell them apart.

While banned ones have to appeal and need to be allowed back first, closed accounts can return at any point, or create a new account instead.

• 1 year later...