SKYRIM PERFORMANCE BOOSTER - about this

stanleemojo

There is a mod in the hot files now, that has chat disabled for discussion. I feel it's better to allow people to explain why a text/pdf is or isn't a mod in the first place. After reading the very short guide, mostly endorsements to other legitimate mods, I failed to find any PERFORMAN BOOST guidance. "But the grass!?" Yeah, that's all covered many times over on AMD and Nvidia's optimization websites. There was even a mod recently "Decrease That Grass" http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/58268/ which already increases performance. Basically the mod in question, isn't a mod or helpful ( in my case and probably more harmful to others ).

"At the moment there is a peculiar mod in the "hot files". It even deactivated the post/comment section.

Nexus could/should really step up there and "protect" less experienced mod-users." Tascani speaking about this text file in another topic.

Edited by stanleemojo

Yeah I was trying to figure out what the significance of it was. It is a huge sales pitch. The doc file just has his mod installation and if you don't use the particular grass mod he lists, then the files he says to delete won't even BE in your skyrim directory. And yeah no s*** your game will run faster with no grass. I mean the author spent hours on performance tweaking to find that out? It's pretty old news, and you can disable grass in game I'm pretty certain so lol Either way, it shouldn't be in the hot files, I am not sure why it is.

"The description reads like a sales pitch. It talks about a massive performance improvement but all the actual file says is "disable grass". The rest is just a list of mods. Why disable comments? Probably because everyone would criticize it for being worthless. Everything about this is really sketchy."

Exactly what I was going to say.

" if you don't use the particular grass mod he lists, then the files he says to delete won't even BE in your skyrim directory."

Exactly what I was going to say as well.

This is a very odd "mod" if you can call it that. Although I wish Nexus would take this down, I don't think there's quite enough for grounds to do so.

This "mod" is pretty much just a performance tweak for "Unique grasses and ground covers" and consist on removing meshes and textures for said mod's grass.

Besides that it is guide on how to obtain a similar setup to the one he is currently using, and WILL decrease performance in lower end PCs specially if you are already having bad FPS.

Discussion is obviously disabled to avoid discouraging people from not downloading the mod after someone knowledgeable posts how this "guide" really works. Putting it simple, if people do not know what it does, they believe (Thanks to a commercial like description) that it will increase their performance and simply download. After receiving negative results, they are unable to complain and people keep falling in this trap.

As for the reason to why this guide has so many endorsements, 112,098 have downloaded "Unique grasses and ground covers". Some of them might have failed to realize that it was the cause of their low performance issues, and after following this guide, received positive results.

Personally I find this to be a disgusting "strategy" to get easy/effortless downloads/endorsements and possibly donations.

If possible, it would be nice for comments to be forced on this mod, as it would clear out a lot of issues and deter less knowledgeable users from downloading and possibly hurting their performance.

Edited by Highwayman300

I don't really think it was the mod author's (well I use the term mod loosely) fault. I'm sure she never expected to hit the hot files or cause some huge controversy but it's easy to lure people in with a fancy title. When I saw that I was thinking of the memory patch or Hialgo boost. How is a word document a "booster"? It is a guide and it is about running more mods with less impact not improving performance of the base game. Anyway it will be forgotten about in a few days so it's no big deal, you know the true great mods as they will always appear in the list of top results and not the hot files which is basically just the most attention grabbing mods of the week.

the 'mod' author is posting in other topics, telling other people they can improve their image quality and/or FPS by using her modlist. I'd say it was a very deliberate attempt to see how many people (s)he can get to use her modlist under verifiably false pretences. With that in mind, I'm not sure it'll just disappear/fade away.

There was an entire topic discussing exactly what the mod list (s)he put together actually did, but it's been moved/hidden. I don't understand why the mods aren't doing something about it.