Skipperin

How exactly does Skyrim handle successions in the event of a jarl's death or imprisonment? Maven, I'm looking at you. Of course, this assumes that the jarls are not essential.

During the Civil War, Skyrim's jarls are replaced by a member of the opposing side depending on which side wins. What if that replacement is already dead? Does the game choose no new jarl and no one succeeds them then?

What if neither side has been picked yet and a jarl dies? Say a dragon hits Whiterun and sends Jarl Balgruuf to Sovngard in a blaze of glory; wouldn't his brother replace him? And wouldn't Jarl Laila be replaced by one of her sons? Etc, etc.

Is there a way to implement a line of successors using the Creation Kit, so that if A dies and B is already dead then C becomes jarl? Or would the Civil War complicate that too much?

I would love for someone to explain all this to me. I have a heavily modded game but I have never created a mod before, and though I've run the Creation Kit and tried a couple things, CK confounds me. I understand most vague concepts about modding but the details of creating one still escape me.

well in balgruuf case .. his brother.. he was intended to be kill in the whispering door quest and his brother take his place.. but that content was cut off..

that could mean that the normal is to inherent the job.. in direct line if the heir is an adult or to a relative or spouse if there is no direct (adult) heir...