Another mod issues thread...

zaetar

Hello, I just needed some help here with the installation of mods. I've trying using Dammoder and even NMM. Right now im with DAOMM.

My problem is, when i download a mod from nexusmods it comes in .rar, when i extract it i only see the files themselves (dialog, sound, textures, etc), not the .override or .dazip im supposed to work with. How do I manage this files?

Yes I've read many other threads about this issue and so far i haven't gotten the answer and no site you may link here ahem-DA modding for dummies-ahem, will help me since it doesnt say anywhere about this specific issue. I either need to grab that and convert it to dazip/override or... no idea. Some do work in NMM but most just don't.

Or i could use the mods from another site. Help?

Never mind, I just put them in separated folders in the My Documents\Bioware\Dragon Age\packages\core\override folder. They all work now, so much for a mod manager... but anyway. Try downloading mods from nexusmods, you'll notice they wont come in dazip, override nor packages. More Hairstyles is a good example.

Different mods= different ways how they are packed and how they are installed.

There are a lot of mods which came as a dazip or as an override installation. Many armour or wespon mods are dazips or new cutscence mods,.. so you can't claim DA Nexus mods will not come in different packages etc.

Often people don't know what to do with the enzipped files because they haven't read the mod description or the readme which is included in most of the mods.

Told you DA for dummies didnt help. I am not having issues with the extension. I am having issues with how they are downloaded from nexusmods. They dont come in .override nor .dazip. The files come separated within a folder, i believe it was made so that i only need to copy/paste into the my documents dragon age folder manually and not with any manager.

Told you DA for dummies didnt help. I am not having issues with the extension. I am having issues with how they are downloaded from nexusmods. They dont come in .override nor .dazip. The files come separated within a folder, i believe it was made so that i only need to copy/paste into the my documents dragon age folder manually and not with any manager.

Well... you're the one who said something about extensions and the types of mods:

My problem is, when i download a mod from nexusmods it comes in .rar, when i extract it i only see the files themselves (dialog, sound, textures, etc), not the .override or .dazip im supposed to work with. How do I manage this files?

Which indicated that you were expecting a ".dazip" or ".override". And since mods that are to be placed directly into your "\override" folder are not packaged as ".dazip" or ".override" files. I gave you information about that.

But as the excerpt below shows, the article explains how to handle all THREE categories of DAO mod. Notice that the very first line says you have to unpackage the mod first! (Hint: See section "c.")

Installing Mods

Once you have the mod unpackaged, (if it needed to be) then each type needs to be treated slightly differently.

a) ".dazip" files. A ".dazip" is a collection of files specially structured to be handled by the built-in program "DAUpdater.exe". DAUpdater is a standalone executable found in the following location: "C:/[program files)]/Dragon Age/bin_ship". Once you have started it, point DAUpdater to the location of the ".dazip" file you want, and chose "Install dazip".

NOTE 1: The progress bar will reach 100%, but the status message never changes to "Completed". It's OK, the mod is installed.

NOTE 2: This is the same procedure used to install the "official" BioWare DLC if you download it directly from the EA servers rather than using the in-game process.

NOTE 3: You can also use either of the two "manager" utilities: DAO ModManager (DAMM), or DA Modder (DAM). These two manager utilities help with the housekeeping chores associated with some specific mod file-types.

b) ".override" files. These are mods specially created to work with DAMM. They are often ones that interact with OTHER mods and are highly configurable. See the DAMM user's guide for information on how to install the program and use these mods. Only a very few mods are ".overrides".

The vast majority of DA mods fall into the next category.

c) "Everything Else". A mod might be a ".mor" for a new face, or a ".cut" for a new animation scene. It might be a ".dlg" with new dialogue, or a ".ss" with new voices. If the mod's instructions say, "Place in your override folder." it does not need to be "installed". As the instruction indicates, simply place it in the folder named "override" located under: "C:/[user's documents]/Bioware/Dragon Age/packages/core".

NOTE 1: If this folder does not exist, (which may be the case if this is your very first mod) just create it.

NOTE 2: Players often place each mod in their "/override" folder into its own sub-folder (named whatever they choose) so that it can be easily identified, (since some mod's file names aren’t much help) and so the entire mod can be deleted without hunting through lots (potentially hundreds!) of other files to find all the pieces.

NOTE 3: Steam and D2D installs use slightly different folder structures than the retail disc version. Adjust accordingly.

Many, many mods uploaded before the NMM was even dreamed of will have similar problems. Particularly those that are packaged with multiple components or have multiple options from which the player must select a single one.

But now you seem to be saying the real problem is that the managers didn't know how to handle a particular mod. As you discovered, the solution is to use the "Download Manually" option to obtain the mod and follow the mod author's instructions for installation.

If you wish, you can discuss NMM and suggest improvements in the Open Beta Feedback forum. :cool: