Floating up steps? Is this normal or am I going insane?

seedlessgrapes

I've noticed that the animation in third person of my character walking up steps/stairs is strange. I seem to float up steps rather than walk up them. I've read up about it around Google and it seems that others have recognised this problem too (the first step looks fine, but the rest gives the illusion that you're walking diagonally upwards, rather than step by step, and that your feet go into the steps themselves).

I don't recall this problem happening in my earlier games. Originally, I suspected it was a mod, so I erased all my mods, deleted all Skyrim files (inc. saves) and begun a new game. There was no change.

I have also tried to verify the integrity of the game cache, but I'm constantly getting the message that 1 file failed to validate and will be reacquired. It never is.

Any help would be appreciated.

Well, in Oblivion the collision geometry of most stairs was indeed a diagonal plane, you could move right through the stairs as they had no collision boxes preventing it, only the animation made it "appear" as if.

On the other hand, moving against a vertical collision plane, no matter how low it was, prevented the player's collision box from passing through. There was no movement upwards or anything to get over it, unless you jumped.

I could imagine things haven't changed much in this regard in Skyrim, and most stairs still 'are' diagonal planes as far as physics are concerned.

Before letting it bother you too much it might help taking a quick look at the stairs' collision geometry ingame? (Wasn't there a console code or button press to toggle collision view as in the other games?)

To look at the collision geometry in game, you might try typing TCG (ToggleCollisionGeometry) in the console. Disclaimer: I don't know personally if this works; I've just seen it listed in various places.

(In Oblivion, the command TMG shows it --- TweakGuides says it stands for ToggleMaterialGeometry, UESP says it's Toggle Motion Guide. Whichever it is, "TMG" will show you why you can't move where and how you think you should be able to.)