Battlemages Versus Spellswords

Rhydderch Hael

Wait... Spellswords wear shoes, robes, and a helmet, while Battlemages wear plate mail and a hood ;D !

You obviously haven't looked at the Major Skills selection for either class.

Spellswords have Heavy Armor. Battlemages have no Armor as their Major Skill (except if you count the Bound Armor of the School of Conjuration, which is part of a Battlemage's repertiore).

That's another niggling fact: the Battlemages in the game are depicted with Heavy Armor, even though HA isn't one of their defining skills. That's the provence of the Sorceror and the Spellsword.

Wait... Spellswords wear shoes, robes, and a helmet, while Battlemages wear plate mail and a hood ;D !

You obviously haven't looked at the Major Skills selection for either class.

Spellswords have Heavy Armor. Battlemages have no Armor as their Major Skill (except if you count the Bound Armor of the School of Conjuration, which is part of a Battlemage's repertiore).

That's another niggling fact: the Battlemages in the game are depicted with Heavy Armor, even though HA isn't one of their defining skills. That's the provence of the Sorceror and the Spellsword.

It was a joke.

I don't know about the official lore. But the way I think of it is that battlemages are traditionally affiliated with the mages guild as their footsoldiers. Spellswords however tend to be unaffiliated with any specific guild and are a combination between a warrior and a mage, using both swords, shields, and heavy armor, as well as offensive magics. Given the fact that there aren't many Spellswords running around, and most of them aren't even affiliated with the mages guild, I would assume that within the guild they are seen as second rate, or not as good as any of the more magic related professions due to their interests in combat skills when they should devote themselves to magic.

This is all ignoring the most obvious reason for the usage of battlemages... It sounds cooler. It is also more identifiable. Everyone has some idea as to what a battlemage is, yet as can be seen, nobody can agree what a spellsword is.

I don't know about the official lore. But the way I think of it is that battlemages are traditionally affiliated with the mages guild as their footsoldiers. Spellswords however tend to be unaffiliated with any specific guild and are a combination between a warrior and a mage, using both swords, shields, and heavy armor, as well as offensive magics. Given the fact that there aren't many Spellswords running around, and most of them aren't even affiliated with the mages guild, I would assume that within the guild they are seen as second rate, or not as good as any of the more magic related professions due to their interests in combat skills when they should devote themselves to magic.

This is all ignoring the most obvious reason for the usage of battlemages... It sounds cooler. It is also more identifiable. Everyone has some idea as to what a battlemage is, yet as can be seen, nobody can agree what a spellsword is.

Hmmmmm......... Mabye spellswords are mercenary battlemages? Yeah, I agree, battlemage does sound better. I bet that's why the Mages Guild uses them... to make themselves sound cool! ;D

Archived