• Please log in to reply
644 replies to this topic

Kastagir

Kastagir

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
@tinman: I posted problems with Combat Tweaks, namely the Blood Thirst ability can not be deactivated when using both mods and any attempt to do so simply doubles the health loss. This will eventually kill the PC if you try to turn it off enough times (since it does some damage initially, whether or not you are in combat). Since there is no effort on either mod author's behalf to address the issue, I am forced to choose this mod and not Combat Tweaks.

I have confirmed that it is the event manager conflict that causes this, as I can remove every single component of Rules Fixes and Combat Tweaks will still double up Blood Thirst.

tinman06

tinman06

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
Kastagir

Have you tried running combat tweaks without the event manager patch? I've looked at its event manager files and it doesn't even look like it is implemented correctly, so I'm not sure it's even getting used. I assume that combat tweaks works fine by itself?

It sounds like the DA fixpack is overriding an event or script that combat tweaks needs to properly shut off the ability. If I had access to the fixpack sources I might be able to fix it, but alas I don't.

I am however going to be re-implementing some of the bug fixes and possibly some of the tweaks from this mod and others that aren't currently very compatible with other mods and trying to make a new fixpack that is modular and highly compatible. Keep an eye on my custom number of tactics mod page news section over the next few weeks - when I finally make a new page for my fixpack I'll put a link up to it.

-Tinman

EDIT: I looked through his files and although he doesn't give his sources (other than his 2da files which he can't hide) I think I have deduced how his "modified" event manager works.
Basically he overrides over a dozen events with his engineevents.gda file, and each calls a custom script INSTEAD of the eventmanager script. All of his separate "fixes" in the folders are just 2da files containing 1 value that tell the scripts whether to run his code for that particular fix or not (myself and other mod authors have also done something similar with .ini file settings).
I'm guessing that all of his custom scripts have the default event manager code in them somewhere, which would normal then look through the eventmanager.gda file for each event in the engineevents file that you sent to it and run your custom specified script. This guy doesn't use the eventmanager.gda file at all, but I guess his custom scripts still look for it so they can run other mods custom scripts that use the normal event manager. This still allows for incompatibilities if both his mod and another are trying to affect the same events, but that is also true for the normal event manager.
The problem is that any other engineevents.gda file in the override directory for another mod using event manager can replace lines in his engineevents.gda file when they are all compiled into a m2da if they are both trying to affect the same events (overriding OR listening). The result is his custom scripts for those events are no longer called which breaks any fixes that relied on those scripts. Instead the normal eventmanager that the other mod put in its engineevents.gda file is called, and that mod should then work like normal while the fixpack is partially broken.

What you have to do to fix this is look in the engineevents.gda file for this mod, and the ones for whatever other mods you have that are in the override directory, and remove any lines from your other mods engineevents.gda file that call the same events as this mod's file. Then no lines in this mods file will be overwritten and it can call all of its custom scripts, and those script will then call the normal event manager code which will look in the eventmanger.gda files for each of the other mods and call the appropriate scripts so that they work. If done right compatibility is the same as if everyone was using the normal event manager.

This also explains why he said his mod works when other mods using event manager are installed in the addins folder instead of the override folder. His engineevents.gda file in the override folder will take precedence over all other mods files the addins folder, so none of his scripts get overridden and the other mods custom scripts still get called as normal.

It's really not a bad idea given what he was trying to accomplish and how many events he had to modify to do it, but it puts the burden of compatibility on everyone else.

If you don't fully understand my explanation PM me and I will give you a detailed walkthough on how to make your other mods engineevents.gda files compatible. This still may not fix all incompatibilities, but it will fix any that can be fixed without merging both mod's source code.

Edited by tinman06, 04 February 2011 - 11:31 PM.

lastdarkness

lastdarkness

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
So whats the official list of mods I should remove from this that either dont work right, cause conflicts or are just plain broken? What they do, reasons and why please.

xzilla7

xzilla7

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
I don't understand the Crushing Prison "fix". The bug on the PC version is in fact that you can't target allies with it, but you are supposed to be able to as per XBOX/PS3 so you can use the Force Field + Crushing Prison combo on allies. So, since without this mod you cannot target allies with Crushing Prison, what exactly does this "fix" fix?

Kastagir

Kastagir

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
@xzilla7: Crushing Prison is a hostile spell. It is not intended to be usable on friendly targets. If you have been able to use it on friendly targets, this is a bug on the consoles, similar to how daggers didn't originally get any damage bonus from Dex...

If you insist that you should be able to cast a damaging spell on allies, just don't use this component.

@lastdarkness: There is no "official" list of components that are problematic since the mod author has not made such a list and has been missing for several months. You could search the comments back a single page, but I'll make a list for you. If you want reasons, you'll have to make an effort and read the earlier comments.

Fix - No Stealth Drop on Friendly Spells
Fix - Power of Blood Dual Wield Expert
Tweak - No Helmet
Tweak - Auto Loot
Tweak - Auto Loot Kills
Tweak - Remove Modal VFX Ground AoE

These components have been reported to break content or quests or have been reported to not fix the bugs they are meant to address. In some cases, undesirable side effects have been reported and the author was last reported to be working on these for the 2.0 release. Any such release is unlikely considering the amount of time that has passed.

xzilla7

xzilla7

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
@Kastagir: regardless of intent (which is ambiguous), this mod claims to "fix" the bug where Crushing Prison can be cast on friendlies, while Advanced Tactics claims to "fix" the bug where Crushing Prison cannot be cast on friendlies. Since it is impossible for both bugs to exist at the same time unless there are two different versions of the official spell being inconsistently implemented, one of these mods is "fixing" a bug that doesn't exist, and so I wonder what exactly the files do if they are supposed to fix a non-existent bug.

Also, thank you for posting a list of the problematic components.

Edited by xzilla7, 20 February 2011 - 01:33 AM.

lastdarkness

lastdarkness

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
@Kastagir, thanks for the list. I searched and found the conflicts.

I already didnt use the no helmet since I found the other no helmet mod easier to work with.

@xzilla7
Then dont use it, simple. Its like the one that changes a spirit spell to do nature damage and Rockfist to do do nature damage as well when its obviusly a physical attack.

Mad Method

Mad Method

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
Kastagir, this is quite wrong. Crushing Prison ought to be intentionally castable on allies because Force Field + Crushing Prison performs a Shockwave combo which performs AoE physical damage and knockdown on everyone nearby except the target.

A thorough fix would be coding Crushing Prison to auto-cancel when targeting allies who do not have Force Field applied to them.

Edited by Mad Method, 21 February 2011 - 07:26 PM.

fishyscales

fishyscales

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Awesome mod!

However, I have noticed that the vfx for the Legionnaire Scout talents still show (Strength of Stone and Endure Hardship).

It would be awesome if this could be fixed or if someone could help me remove them myself.

SamConquers

SamConquers

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
For people that still have a problem with the dual wield expert + tainted blade fix, there is an easy way of fixing this. If you just want to fix that bug download http://www.dragonage...ile.php?id=759. If you want to combine that mod with this one, you need to delete three files from this mod. Namely, "Fix- Power of blood dual wield expert", "Tweak - No power of blood damage while exploring" and "dual wield expert with other dots". After these files are deleted, you can install the other mod and it will all work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Page loaded in: 0.980 seconds