Far Cry 4 and newer game specs...

So my main topic is Far Cry 4... I know it just came out but I got the gold edition, not knowing it would overload my computer. It'll play, but barely on lowest. The cutscene lag is so bad it hurts. 15fps is fine for me, but I'd like a bit newer rig. I'm running on an HP Pavilion laptop (IK IK Don't game on a laptop...) With an AMD Radeon 7600 series APU 8-core processor (AMD A-8 Vision) And I've been thinking of getting an NVidia card for it. Thoughts? I'm also planning to get Just Cause 3 and still awaiting the day I may play Watch Dogs on PC...

Also, wondering if anyone has made an ptimization mod for FC4 yet?

Thanks all,

~JIET

upgrading graphics card is expensive and with a lap top you are limited with what will fit, also I have found new cards need more power, so power supply upgrade is sometimes also needed, its never ending :(

it appears that each new game needs more graphics, so every 2 years new card will be needed. soooooo

consider xbox 360, under $200 now and no crashes, the only downside is no mods

only 7 months ago I buy hp envoy, i7 with gt 640 card, its lagging with fc4 and have just ordered a new 970 card for it ($700 fitted and maybe new power supply as well, pfff), so if money is limited and you can live without mods then console is far cheaper option.

if I could live without mods my xbox would still be used.

upgrading graphics card is expensive and with a lap top you are limited with what will fit, also I have found new cards need more power, so power supply upgrade is sometimes also needed, its never ending :sad:

it appears that each new game needs more graphics, so every 2 years new card will be needed. soooooo

consider xbox 360, under $200 now and no crashes, the only downside is no mods

only 7 months ago I buy hp envoy, i7 with gt 640 card, its lagging with fc4 and have just ordered a new 970 card for it ($700 fitted and maybe new power supply as well, pfff), so if money is limited and you can live without mods then console is far cheaper option.

if I could live without mods my xbox would still be used.

Not really, good cards like gtx 7 something can last four years, if it was well treated and not overloaded.

Frankly, I wouldn't bother with Farcry 4 or AC:U on PC... Not as a benchmark, not as an example of what sort of hardware you might need, not even as examples of good games. Both of these titles are plagued with bugs, are poorly optimized, and are essentially just "more of the same" with little thought or effort put into them other than marketing.

Sure, AC:U has multiplayer, and with friends that might count for something, but multiplayer is limited to a few select missions, each with a specific number of people who can join, and becomes overly reliant on your connection to Uplay's servers. Beyond that, it's like a copy of Black Flag, without the fun parts or the story, but with added microtransactions.

Farcry 4 is in a similar thread. It's just like FC3, except without those parts that made FC3 good (story, meaningful skill/plot choices, working AI).

If you're looking for a better benchmark, about the only thing that is recent that comes close is Dragon Age: Inquisition*. It has the graphic fidelity that looks next gen, it has rich environments that can actually tax a system without it being due entirely to bad optimization, and is all-together a better game. It'll give you a clearer idea of what the next 1-2 years of gaming will look like as well as what sorts of demands will be placed on your system according to whatever graphical range you deem acceptable.

But yes, with a laptop, you are pretty much locked in to whatever hardware came with it. This is why laptops are usually not suggested for gaming, even gaming laptops. This is why, for the markup of a "gaming" laptop, you're almost better off building a wifi capable desktop tower, buying a microsoft surface, and either using a remote desktop application or Steam's ability to stream a game to an external device... For the purposes of gaming without having to sit at a desk. And this sort of option is becoming less and less difficult to make workable as time goes by.

*Saying this even if I personally abhor EA and Origin

• 2 weeks later...

Frankly, I wouldn't bother with Farcry 4 or AC:U on PC... Not as a benchmark, not as an example of what sort of hardware you might need, not even as examples of good games. Both of these titles are plagued with bugs, are poorly optimized, and are essentially just "more of the same" with little thought or effort put into them other than marketing.

Sure, AC:U has multiplayer, and with friends that might count for something, but multiplayer is limited to a few select missions, each with a specific number of people who can join, and becomes overly reliant on your connection to Uplay's servers. Beyond that, it's like a copy of Black Flag, without the fun parts or the story, but with added microtransactions.

Farcry 4 is in a similar thread. It's just like FC3, except without those parts that made FC3 good (story, meaningful skill/plot choices, working AI).

If you're looking for a better benchmark, about the only thing that is recent that comes close is Dragon Age: Inquisition*. It has the graphic fidelity that looks next gen, it has rich environments that can actually tax a system without it being due entirely to bad optimization, and is all-together a better game. It'll give you a clearer idea of what the next 1-2 years of gaming will look like as well as what sorts of demands will be placed on your system according to whatever graphical range you deem acceptable.

But yes, with a laptop, you are pretty much locked in to whatever hardware came with it. This is why laptops are usually not suggested for gaming, even gaming laptops. This is why, for the markup of a "gaming" laptop, you're almost better off building a wifi capable desktop tower, buying a microsoft surface, and either using a remote desktop application or Steam's ability to stream a game to an external device... For the purposes of gaming without having to sit at a desk. And this sort of option is becoming less and less difficult to make workable as time goes by.

*Saying this even if I personally abhor EA and Origin

I dunno, I got Far Cry 4 for my PS4 and I do say I enjoyed it quite a bit. Unity was just one big sh*tstorm though.

I've been meaning to get a desktop, I originally got this laptop for my developing, but when I found out it could run most current-gen games, I thought, "Warum nicht?" And 2 years later I have 700GB of games on here.