It All Started With Pong

CplDevilDog

Good morning Pittsburgh! (and the rest of yinz lesser football fans too)

Let me start by saying I absolutely hate Skyrim....I wish I had never heard the word and may Bethesda suffer in the hell of software developers for all time! >:(

"Why?" you ask. I'll tell you....

Going all the way back to Pong I've loved video games. Fantastical worlds I could lose myself in like Wizardry for the IBM and Adventure on the Atari 2600. The siren song of 8-bit graphics was strong within me.

After a short hiatus in the military (no computers in the woods), I picked up where I left off with the Sony Playstation and Soul Reaver. FPS's, RTS, Platformers and Side scrollers, I loved them all. PC, Unreal Tournament, Call of Duty, Playstation, xBox, GoW(1,2 and 3), Oblivion, xBox 360 and finally, Skyrim (may it rot in hell).

"But it was such a great game, why would he be hatin' on it?" Well, I'll tell you....

Skyrim has destroyed my capacity to enjoy games that are not Skyrim!

Even after Oblivion, I was able to pick up with my FPS's and RTS's (How I miss you Homeworld :sad:) But, after logging about 300 hours on Skyrim for the xBox360, I can't pick anything else up!!! Bought Destiny 3 weeks ago....Sold. Bought CoD:AW two weeks ago....Sold. I just can't play anything that forces me down a straight path (even a fairly wide path) anymore.

Minecraft for the xBox One is my only solace right now but it feels a little like drinking Listerine because the liquor store's closed.

So a few weeks ago, I got this bright idea. "Hey, I'll go back to the PC world (its been about 10 years) and start a modded Skyrim world." :cool:

Two weeks later, and reality has started to set in :ohdear: .

After a week of "analysis paralysis" over build vs buy a rig, this card vs that card, those things vs these things I pulled the trigger on an Open Box Dell XPS8700 and then things really got tough .

S.T.E.P, NMM, MO, BOSS, LOOT, SKSE, Wrye, Bashed Patch! What the hell is a bashed!

It has become obvious to me that I am going to need an advanced degree in Modding in order to get this thing up and running. So, instead of playing Skyrim this winter, it looks like I am going to be learning to play Skyrim this winter. :dance:

That's OK. I have almost a 4 year degree in Comp Sci and its 10 degrees outside for the next 4 months, lets get started!

Some days you eat the bear and some days the bear eats you. Yesterday was definitely a 'bear ate you' kind of day.

After moving the Steam client to a non-UAC file directory I was not able to get it to connect. The problem is certainly the NetGear WAN, as I was connected fine when I was bypassing it. So, an hour or so reading through port forwarding aaandddd :happy:

Nothing :wallbash:

This is real trouble since my PC location does not play well with a direct connect to my modem :sad:

Two hours 'til work. Guess, Ill read through the S.T.E.P. guide til then

Oh I so know what you mean CPL Devil. I felt that way about Zelda when zelda was out.. It felt like you could do ANYTHING in zelda at any time just about. Sure, there was the main quest, but at the time it was just something that felt so immersive and had all these little dark patches that felt like you had wondered into an alley some place. It was so free feeling. The same thing happened with Skyrim for me too.. It's all I tend to play now. The sad part is that now, with such a focus on graphics, games like skyrim don't come around often. It's cheaper to make a narrow path than an entire world filled with mystery while also making it look nice... D:

Good luck modding person!

• 3 weeks later...

Some days you eat the bear and some days the bear eats you. Yesterday was definitely a 'bear ate you' kind of day.

After moving the Steam client to a non-UAC file directory I was not able to get it to connect. The problem is certainly the NetGear WAN, as I was connected fine when I was bypassing it. So, an hour or so reading through port forwarding aaandddd :happy:

Nothing :wallbash:

This is real trouble since my PC location does not play well with a direct connect to my modem :sad:

Two hours 'til work. Guess, Ill read through the S.T.E.P. guide til then

I have a BS degree in Skyrim modding from BSU. (You can choose those to be acronyms for a degree program, a game studio, or a 4 legged ruminant waste product.)

Did you just MOVE Steam, or re-install it? Just moving it won't work; too many registry entries.

Some interesting port forwarding info from the monopoly itself.

Good luck in your studies, though, as far as I can tell, there was little computer science applied to either Skyrim or its modding method.

</sarcasm>

Edited by Lord Garon