Snowbound

Aurielius

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am curious where this "evidence" is....... Isn't 'evidence' usually equated with 'proof'?

We have theories of cause and effect. Of course, we have alternate theories that are just as likely to be true.

One fact remains. The climate changes. We can adapt, or we can die. Those are the choices.

That assumes that we CAN prevent it..... The climate has been changing for billions of years before industrialized man was on the scene. We are NOT the sole cause.... we don't even know if we are a PRIMARY cause..... to think that we can change/stop/prevent it, assumes a great deal.

That assumes that we CAN prevent it..... The climate has been changing for billions of years before industrialized man was on the scene. We are NOT the sole cause.... we don't even know if we are a PRIMARY cause..... to think that we can change/stop/prevent it, assumes a great deal.

We might not be the sole cause but we can try to prevent the acceleration of it's change. Even if we are not the "primary" cause, if we can slow it down why not try? The main problem is people who totally reject the notion that the climate is changing at an accelerated rate don't even want to do anything about it or try.

Seriously if one day you find out you have developed lung cancer, are you going to keep smoking or continue to do unhealthy things to your body that put you at risk for cancer? I would hope not.

Edited by colourwheel

In my opinion, no more than accepting the concept that you would most likely die if you jumped off from a 50 story building. Just because it's not a proven fact that a person will die from jumping from a 50 story building doesn't mean they most likely will. When there is more than enough evidence suggesting something to be highly likely you tend to be more cautious about hanging off the ledge of a 50 story building.

Sorry, but isn't that a false comparison. The concept of impacting the ground as opposed to something as broad reaching as effecting the lives and livlihoods of millions of people. Dieing from such a fall is generaly the rule instead of the exception and the concept of the global warming issue, in it's entirity is meerly theory. There is a level where being safe instead of sorry makes less and less sence, since what we are supposed to be saved from is so unknown.

Sorry, but isn't that a false comparison. The concept of impacting the ground as opposed to something as broad reaching as effecting the lives and livlihoods of millions of people.

As false as you may think it to be I think its a great comparison and a well thought analogy to stress why it doesn't matter if its a theory or a proven fact.

An enhanced greenhouse effect from CO2 has been confirmed by multiple lines of empirical evidence. This is not just a theory. Satellite measurements of infrared spectra over the past 40 years observe less energy escaping to space at the wavelengths associated with CO2. Surface measurements find more downward infrared radiation warming the planet's surface. This provides a direct, empirical causal link between CO2 and global warming. Climate scientists have indeed quantified the anthropogenic contribution to global warming using empirical observations and fundamental physical equations.

Edited by colourwheel

Sorry, but isn't that a false comparison. The concept of impacting the ground as opposed to something as broad reaching as effecting the lives and livlihoods of millions of people.

As false as you may think it to be I think its a great comparison and a well thought analogy to stress why it doesn't matter if its a theory or a proven fact.

An enhanced greenhouse effect from CO2 has been confirmed by multiple lines of empirical evidence. This is not just a theory. Satellite measurements of infrared spectra over the past 40 years observe less energy escaping to space at the wavelengths associated with CO2. Surface measurements find more downward infrared radiation warming the planet's surface. This provides a direct, empirical causal link between CO2 and global warming. Climate scientists have indeed quantified the anthropogenic contribution to global warming using empirical observations and fundamental physical equations.

I was speaking about the results of the occurances. Falling off a building as opposed to the effects of global warming. It is these comapisons that I truly believe push people from the realm of listener to skeptic and some even off the fence. There is a logical falacy that could easily be implimented here.

I was speaking about the results of the occurances. Falling off a building as opposed to the effects of global warming. It is these comapisons that I truly believe push people from the realm of listener to skeptic and some even off the fence. There is a logical falacy that could easily be implimented here.

I see...

please then, feel free to come up with a better analogy to reinforce my point that won't turn listeners into skeptics :) j/k