Weight slider for custom armor works, but now I have no textures!

Deleted6973877User

So I've been learning Blender and the process for creating and exporting and getting armors to show in game, and in general I think I have a pretty good footing. As you might guess though, the real issues came with making the _0 and _1 meshes play nice, but only when it came to armors which bare actual skin. With female meshes I can see it, but male meshes are nothing, and on top of that I'm using custom lattices and scripts which yield near-perfect results in terms of vertex alignment and whatnot. Every time I would get the _1 mesh in game, the clothes would be perfectly fine, but the exposed skin would "explode" on intermediate weights.

After much irritation I finally noticed that there was a different number of vertices between the two meshes - vertices I couldn't account for, and only on the skin. After a lot of research I finally found someone else who had this issue, and their findings were that for some reason Blender was adding vertices on export where there were multiple materials involved. Lo and behold, when I removed all materials, not only did the skin nodes have the same vertex count, but it was drastically reduced from what it had been. And, of course, the weight slider worked perfectly.

But when you remove your materials, you're stuck with flat emissive colors instead of your texture. :sad:

So I'm stuck. I tried relinking materials in Blender and was more careful about it - I used the outliner to ensure that there were no bogus links to useless materials and made absolutely sure each piece of the armor had only one material linked to it (though interestingly the skin never had that specific problem in spite of it being what Blender chose to throw vertices at). But that just reintroduced the extra vertex issue. I've looked over the meshes in NifSkope repeatedly, trying to see if there's some magic parameter I'm missing which would make the textures come back, but the BSLightingShaderProperty nodes all came from working iterations of the mesh and there's nothing else I can do with them that I can determine. The UV set count is 1 for the skin, 4097 for the clothes, normals are set to no for the skin and yes for the clothes. I verified in Blender that the vertex color parameter was set correctly... I don't know what else to do.

The person I found with this issue solved it by using 3DSMax instead of Blender, but I'm neither a student nor someone who can casually drop that kind of money on software for what isn't something I do with any regularity. So that's my issue. If it helps, here's a link to download the meshes and textures, and of course let me know if I've left out any pertinent information. I know I tend to ramble. lol

Any help is very much appreciated!

Edit: I've tried just now using the complete base body mesh and swapping the _0 weight for the _1 weight. I don't know why I thought that would help, maybe if it would fool Blender into behaving and it was just the act of morphing the existing body mesh which made it cranky, but no dice. Just the act of assigning a material to the skin object is enough to cause the phantom vertices to show up and ruin the weight slider compatability. I guess it's just as well it didn't work though because it's silly having the entire body mesh under the trousers :P Back to the drawing board, I s'pose.

Edited by Guest