Nvidia 8GB 970/980's

whitescar911

So I hear Nvidia are to release new a new 970 and 980 each with 8gb of vram, how useful will it be for heavy modding? I am currently using a 680 with 2gb.

http://i.imgur.com/IhVclc0.png

Getting my skyrim to look like this takes my FPS to about 15-20. What kind of performance would I get? Or wouldn't it make a difference?

This is mis-information.....Only the GTX 980 at this point.

Nv has GM 200 A1 Taped out and is in Production at TSMC The Foxconn TW production will be starting soon GTX 980Ti/Titan X or whatever name is given will be very late 2015

The GM 200 A1 ES are in Validation as we speak.

http://wccftech.com/...titan-x-coming/

His facts are fairly accurate.. More trust able than Fuad Or Charlie.

It really means little unless you have a display that can utilize it...

It's just the same card with more memory blocks on it. I don't know what you expect but it will give pretty much identical results unless you have a 4K display(even then there will be no difference in most situations).

8GB VRAM is ultra overkill.

It's just the same card with more memory blocks on it. I don't know what you expect but it will give pretty much identical results unless you have a 4K display(even then there will be no difference in most situations).

I was under the impression that more vram helped with the performance impact of large textures.

I was under the impression that more vram helped with the performance impact of large textures.

1080p is 1080p unless you are spanning two or have a 2560 x 1440 or have a 4k display which would downsample to the maximum game resolution 2560 x 1440.

Anything over 4 GB is overkill...

Contrary to the belief of some VRAM does not add performance in FPS other than at much higher display resolutions.

In GPU bound games it is sheer GPU computation performance. VRAM is a FIFO (first in first out) buffer for the GPU.

Many people think of VRAM in static terms, but the video card driver uses hardware detection algorithms to utilize at a high level.

DX9 shadows the frame buffer to a given depth into physical RAM.

No, it does not help. The difference is that one of them will start stuttering when you come close to 4GB and the the other one won't. And it's really hard to reach 4GB VRAM usage below 4K.

I think 4GB is quite enough for heavily modded Skyrim.