XCOM EU; need help - armor customization and squad size

xextremex

Hello. I am new to the XCom games and after spending many hours reading through various Wikis and forum posts, I'd like to ask for some guidance. I'm playing EU with no DLC content (there's no folder). I'm trying to figure out how to get two types of mods in my game that work with my saved games. The main thing I'm looking for is to be able to give my soldiers new armor, and most importantly new armor tints. Right now I cannot find a single option that gives them different armor (a helmet would be great), even with some armor researched and purchased and equipped...

I've read through long threads about changing certain files or changing the hex after decompressing stuff and using the PatcherGUI to install it. There's way too many numbers and I'm beyond confused. I have no idea what I'm doing here as far as scripting or hex code editing. And at this point I think I will mess up my game where I cannot play my saved missions. I can easily modify simple files in notepad but that's it.

I've changed it so XCom runs in offline mode. I've successfully added the main armor tints to my game but that's it.

I do not wish to install the Long War mod as it makes so many changes and I'm still learning the game on my first playthrough. An individual mod for EU that only affects the customization would be perfect...

I'm looking either for a 1. Simple mod that will give me more customization options for my officers, 2. Unlock the locked armors (I run into a brick wall here because instructions are to edit a file in the DLC folder and that does not exist for me), or 3. A simple DIY that will give me what I'm looking for and does not require the DLC (which I would get if it did run with my saved games which it does not).

Any guidance on this is greatly appreciated.

Secondly, I'm looking to increase my squad size. I've read about how this requires changing several files because of spawn point issues, etc.... Can anyone point me to a mod or a DIY specifically for this? It needs to work with my saved games and work with EU that has no DLC. Thank you

Edit: buying Elite Soldier Pack

Edited by xextremex

Increasing squad size is a non-trivial task, requiring hex edits. Suggest you look over the long thread (428 posts) of research into the matter at "R&D to Increase Squad Size" before tackling it on your own. I vaguely recall someone put out a mod with increased squad sizes for EU, but can't find it now and last I knew it hadn't been updated to work with EU patch 6. (Most likely it was either part of LW for EU, or authored by "wghost81" (aka "Wasteland Ghost") or "Amineri". However, a search on their names didn't turn up anything I recognized as such a mod so it was probably as part of a larger one.)

As suggested, all the current modding efforts are directed towards EW. Regardless, you will most likely find larger squad sizes as part of a larger overhaul mod than a "stand-alone" one. Nothing for it but to dig through descriptions, though the thread above may have some mentioned near the end.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

Larger squad size involves changes to the Barracks and Ranger displays (which involve editing the Flash SWF files, something only a very few people have attempted), as well as the Landing Zones for each and every map among others. While it is undoubtedly possible to make a standalone mod to do so, all the people who have been involved previously are currently tied up in Long War for EW. Eventually they plan to go back and update LW for EU, but not until they get out a stable version for EW. (It's already taken them twice as long as their original estimate, which is just par for the course.) At that time someone might break out some standalone mods. Possibly. I don't speak for them and can't commit them to anything.

I'm afraid you are simply going to have to suffer through the fact that EU is currently being neglected by most of the (really very small) modding community for XCOM. But you can always put a request into the "XCOM Mod Requests" section.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

Thank you for your reply. That is unfortunate especially since I've read many times EU is much easier to mod.... I was just hoping there was some part of one of the mods that could be released, the info about how to do it. But I guess people want to keep that to themselves...

But I guess people want to keep that to themselves...

It requires a considerable amount of work no one has time to do. XCOM is not mod friendly. Read the modding wiki to understand how much time and effort it takes to hex code even a simple mod. And bigger squad mod is not simple.

All the info is in the post dubiousintent linked. No one is hiding anything.

Edited by wghost81