well this sucks

DarkLordAon

Read the fine print on the disc case: you MUST have Steam to run Skyrim, disc or not. No legal version of Skyrim will run without Steam authorization, unless you have a very old release which wasn't patched. In that case, you will have the problems you describe. If its a new disc, just register it on Steam and you'll get an auto-update to the latest version. If its used (registered to another Steam account), well, you might be stuck.

Edited by Lord Garon

If it is a legitimate version - the CD box will say STEAM is required. And - it will include a key code. Set up a FREE Steam account - register the game using that code - and you will be in business. Updates will be downloaded automatically.

Then, there are a LOT of bogus versions out there being sold by third party sellers and second hand sellers that claim they are ligit when they are just lying to get your money. You cannot fault Bethesoft for that - blame the pirates for selling you a bogus copy and ripping off both you and the game maker that spent millions of dollars creating the game. Call Amazon and file a complaint.

If you did get ripped off with a bogus copy - Sorry, it is still a pirate version and we cannot help.

Here is our stance on Piracy from the TOS

Piracy
We have a strict anti-piracy policy and we take a proactive and preemptive stance on anyone who gives us reason to believe is using a pirated version of any game or software. We only support official game versions and users should not provide help to others requesting help with unofficial game versions (e.g. cracked games). If your on-site activities provide us with sufficient evidence that you are a software pirate then you will be instantly banned. If you ask for help with a cracked game then your posts or topics may be set to hidden or deleted, and persisting to ask for help with your cracked copy may result in your account being banned.

More information on our anti-piracy policy can be found on our forums.

amazon

Amazon sells second hand and pirated games through their third party vendors. Neither one of which are legitimate Steam powered games. I believe that you may have been cheated into purchasing one of these pirated copies. I have written to Amazon in the past over this exact issue, but they continue to carry the illegal copies. These copies cannot be updated or supported by the manufacturer. You might be able to go through Amazon in getting a refund on your purchase. If so you'll find that the Legendary Edition of Skyrim fully updated and with all DLC's is currently on sale at Steam for $23.99. Skyrim alone is just $9.99. I would check into that if I were you.

Rabbit