Lycanthropy and Vampirism

thejeneral462

Hey nexus family, So I wanted to get some thoughts on what others think of Lycanthropy and Vampirism in general. Growing up, I always had a love for the old werewolf stories and movies, and of course if a video game had the option to play as either vampire or lycan, I always rolled with lycan. I have a couple ideas buzzing in my head for a mod involving stories revolving around this topic, as well as a seperate video game (heh, I'd like to eventually create games!) So what I wanted to discuss, is what comes to your mind when you think of Werewolves or Vampires. What kind of personality do you think they need to embody, what are some of the most important things about them to you? What stories/lore about them do you think are awesome (movie,book,game recommendations) and what stories are terrible (lawl twilight) If you're playing a video game and RP as a vampire or werewolf, explain your choice and I'd love to hear your character's back story!

Edited by thejeneral462

In Skyrim I've had this character that was good halfway through the playthrough but he contracts vampirism and just turns into a corrupted version of himself. After all, vampires were created by the lord of corruption haha.

I've always viewed vampires as people who are power hungry and want an edge against regular people who they either despise them or just think they're better. To me werewolves are people who like the freedom of the wild and take lycanthropy as a chance to merge themselves with nature. That or they're warriors or hunters who want an edge against other people (like vampires). Of course, there are people who accidently become infected with either disease and view it as a curse.

Personally I've always preferred vampirism (I guess that's says a lot about me lol).

love the name! haha I'm only slightly in love with Serana :wub:

I definitely agree with this, vampires to me have always seemed very powerful and cunning. Persuasion, darkness, intellect, etc. I think the reason I've always been drawn to wolf lore is the sense of honor and pack mentality (true old wolf/shapeshift lore, haha not so much the savage beast side) and yes, definitely the freedom and connection to nature and the wild. Awesome input!!

I pretty well agree on the given definitions of Vamps and Lycans... I would also add I see Vamps as intentionally cruel, through their arrogence and disdain, where as Lycans as unintentionally cruel, through their hunting methods and chaotic indiscriminating attacks. I am a big fan of Lycans, never play the Vamp in video games, always play the Lycan if their available, love playing Lycans : )

The character I play is a born Lycan, is not and never was human (I infect him in Helgen, as I play perma-death he has been recreated more than once)...he is RP'ed as having come from the mountains bordering Skyrim and Cyrodiil, inaccessable regions where his Clan (Pack) lives, he was out tracking Bandits who had killed two of the Packs young and had tracked them too far into Skyrim territory, caught up by the Imperials while he was bathing (explaining no gear), he baths to cover his scent. He is very primal and animalistic, is a pure hunter, he preys on and eats people and predator beasts in both his Lycan and human forms (skins them all and harvests them for their meat and his poisons), loves the challenge of the hunt, the greater the challenge, the better. Doesn't connect with people, very much the outsider, he doesn't understand people, there are a small number of quests I can't do with him, because he can't understand the concept of a lie or stealing. I try my best to have him live and think as I would imagine a lone wolf would and so he has no moral values good or bad, he just is, lives for the moment and reacts moment by moment, doesn't look beyond, has no followers, has found himself a small out of the way hide-away where he stores the little he owns, doesn't buy or sell (lives off the land), only eats raw meat and drinks only water, doesn't loot or collect any gear aside from alchemical ingredients, fresh meat, pelts and arrows. His battle style is a cross between Ranger and hunting predator, is a patient stalking and ambushing bowman, tactics heavy, spends more time quietly stalking and planning his attacks than battling...most of his attacks are ranged, but if he is forced into melee and is failing to holdthem off with his bow bash and agility and takes enough damage, he will rage and force transform into his beast self. He has no magic to speak of, doesn't understand it and so doesn't like it...also despises walking dead things...Vamps, Draughers...their an affront to his senses and he reacts very violently, as you could then imagine it's very difficult then rp'ing him with Serena, so he kills her once she is of no use anymore...That's pretty much my Lycan in a nutshell.

very cool and unique back story! i really dig it! I RP the same with the not having a home, my character just kind of roams and camps wherever. My character is a female lycan but right now, as far as she knows, only by the blood of the companion circle. She doesnt know who her family is and has been alone for as long as she can remember. Skyrim isn't the greatest place for orphans and strays, so she's led a life of thievery and cave looting to take care of herself, gaining her the name Nyx (lol because she nicks things from people) This is why she ended up being carted off to Helgen in the beginning of the game.

For some reason, through out her travels, packs of wolves have never bothered her when she's in the wild, it's almost as though theyve been keeping watch and have some sort of connection with her, and it feels like the closest thing she's had to a family. Upon meeting the companions, she was intrigued to be a part of the circle, it felt oddly like home. what she doesn't know is that she's had the blood since birth, in a much purer form, the blood of the companions (hircines gift) only masks what was there the whole time.

The pure blood comes from centuries ago, when more primitive men and wolves first encountered one another. The way the relationship formed is when wolves watched humans and their hunting tactics from a distance, until they felt intrigued enough to approach as allies. There's an old lore story of a powerful pack lead wolf being attracted to a tribes girl, she embodied everything he stood for and he wanted nothing more than to be with her. Sky woman, hearing his howls, granted him the ability to shapeshift into human form as she felt the relationship between these two powerful and honorable beings would be beneficial to order of both worlds. They form a union and created the first pack of pureblood lycans, balancing the knowledge of human and strength and power of wolf. My character is a direct descendant of this union but due to a pack threat (there's a story behind that, as well as how the dovakhiin ties in lol but i want to cover it in my mod), her parents, under the advice of sky woman, leave her near the home of a stable owner close by. This would not only keep her safe and her identity protected, but it would also be a trial of her strength and will to someday rule as pack leader, a position that requires the fittest of mind and body.

The way hircine ties into it, is that somewhere along the lines of history, he discovered this tribe and created a darker version of the blood, that's why it doesn't really interfere with what she already is, mostly just muddles it a little. Becoming a companion is what opens her journey to rediscover who she really is.

I've always been really jazzed about wolves in general, lol which of course is the reason i love lycans so much as well. When i was little, i used to trick my younger sister by telling her i was secretly a werewolf and could turn at any moment. I had kept a pair of gloves and mask from a werewolf costume my mom bought me for halloween, so id keep one of the gloves in my pocket and whip my hand out every once in awhile yelling to my sister "oh my gahd! i'm turning! what do i do?!" lol good times. Anyway, reading about how wolf packs actually work is amazing and would be so awesome to put into a story, i could write about this forever lol. On the subject of vampires, i think while they are usually a dark being, they are highly intelligent as well, hence why theyre able to pull off corruption so well, but some can see the benefit in having non vampire allies instead of enemies/foodsource. Which brings me back to serana and why my character bonds with her (theyre both in turmoil about theyre upbringing and feel alone for starters). A werewolf of hircines gift would be hardpressed to make friendly with a vampire, but the nature of purebloods is to remain somewhat neutral until they have a better sense of their prey or possible ally, theyre highly logical and tactical. because serana is very different from her father and most vampires alone, my character doesn't sense any kind of threat, and sees more of a benefit to their companionship. together, theyre both very powerful! (plus come on, that is one hot collection of pixels) anywho i feel like im rattling on about this like a total geek, but as you can see i kiiiiinda love this topic! id love to meet more people who are interested in this and maybe we can collaborate and make some cool stories. plus, it's not easy finding people in my real life circle of friends that want to discuss lycanthropy and vampirism lol, iiiiiiit's pretty geeky, but that's ok we can all unite on the interwebs =D

Edited by thejeneral462

Hmmm

Ok normally Were people don't always need a over the top personality. I wouldn't base my theory's on skyrim, because skyrim is based off everything being magic. lore lore etc.

But if Were peps were real the best stories are normal/innocent people turning into were creatures for no reason but a curse of the mind. The way they deal with it (life) and the random/full moon transformations is pretty funny.

First off we have the transformation...the real one would be painful beyond reason.The transformation pain would never fade because this is bones and skin stretching. The same goes for vampires. if you ever had a broken bone it's 75 times worst than that. The transformation time is a key thing at points like this (how long will it take, which area should i do it and do i really need to do this in were form) Remember your vulnerable in these transformation stages someone can easily kill you with a piece of paper.

if you survive the transformation (as people have died just from it) we can move on to a next stage how do you look, those your fur adapt to the snow for camouflage or for the woods. how tall are you how high can you jump. Were peps are supposed to be fast hand hard hitting enemy, they were shown to jump half acres of tree's sometimes which was really cool. the werewolf model in skyrim should have been a bit bigger and able to stand straighter towards the sky. in general it looked really nice compared to what they first had in mind with their sketchs. Long face and strange eyes in the dark is always the coolest way to go for them.

people with strong personality shouldn't get were form's they can eventually control it which means they must have learn a lesson in life.

Were wolf's in packs kind of seem's feminine to me because i like them single and strong enough to take out 5 adventures at once. The max i will like to seem them be in is 3, i don't call them a pack. lastly for were peps- always aim for madness and hunting craving- like a hungry hobo on drugs.

From what i heard nature and LIFE itself hates vampires. so yea. by this i mean the laws of physics hated their every move. From what i collected vampires are not really dead, and only one pure blood in real life would have existed-he then mated with human to mix cross breeds. i am going to stop there, in general the more the off spring with humans the weaker- they shouldn't have to ability to make children by a curse from the creator. lastly i heard it was super easy it get rid of the curse for vampires, if the victim was of "god" before just pray, if not be of him. But for were wolfs HA good luc, from what i heard and seen you have to mentally resist your own existence and such.

hmm i really like that idea with the transformation thing! it's interesting that many people romanticize the whole lone wolf thing, it does have that edgey sound to it, lol but what's funny is that in reality a lone wolf is usually always a wolf that was shunned by the pack for being useless or a bother, couldn't hunt, harassed other pack members, etc. Any other packs that see the lone wolf generally won't even adopt them into their own because a lone wolf is a mockery and a disgrace. There's a whole lot that happens within real packs that I think are so worth adding to a story. For instance, a wolf den is usually where female wolves birth and raise their young, and packs will hold onto that den for generations. They have holds sometimes 5km in distance and have their territory understood by surrounding packs. Ravens are also one of the wolves closest outer species ally, they scout out prey for them and the pack will be sure to leave scraps for them, so i think it would be cool to add that into my story somehow. There's also in-pack fights that determine ranking so that's a neat one, lol gah there's so much, i don't know how to process all the things! vampires are an interesting breed, i think for me though i don't just associate them with all things evil, i do think a vampire can have a good moral standing though it would probably be less common. I think I see them more as highly intelligent and extremely cunning, as well as naturally alluring to help them attract potential prey. I see them as very good with their words and powerful leaders. when it comes to the relationship between vampire and werewolf, i think perhaps some factions would have a mutually beneficial relationship (instead of the typical war between the two) and perhaps others would have a hate. I sort of like the idea of some vampire families managing to keep werewolves as slaves, which leads to the tension between both creatures (seems like at least a semi realistic one to me)

Edited by thejeneral462

I had a Skyrim Character named Dridein Telvanni, who was born In the Red Year, but being born with a special power none could possess from Birth, He had a Sister, His twin Sister, but when The Argonian Invasion happened, Their wet-nurse fled their Home to get them to Safer Place, She only had time to hide them In a partly broken building underneath a bed before She was slaughtered by an Argonian Invader, Fortunately the Argonian did not notice them, After Time a young Dunmer Woman found them and had taken them to Her Home, however She could not raise them, She took them to a Nearby Orphanage where they spent a few Years, They both were very confident and knew how to Look after themselves, He was very Protective of His Sister, She was Born a few Minutes after Him, and She was His only Family that He knew of and would stop at nothing to protect Her, They were never adopted, so one night they left, took some supplies and snuck out, they found a group of Dunmer who were travelling to Vivec, they welcomed them to travel along, Leaving behind Vvardenfell was one of the hardest things they've done before, but there was nothing left for them There, no Origin of their Birth, No Family, what was there to lose? The Journey was long and hard, thankfully the Dunmer were generous and shared Food, Almost arriving at Vivec one Night when everyone was Asleep, A Particular Male Dunmer with an untrustworthy look In His eye, Crept up on Dridein's Sister, She only had time to Yelp before His hand reached her mouth, and Even that made every Fiber of Dridein's being leap to Her Defense, a furious flame conjured In His hand and licked across the Mer's face, The Dunmer screamed and fell back, Dridein's Sister scrambled to her feet, Before the Dunmer could even Gasp for air Dridein's dagger pierced the Mer's gut, The Dunmer was Dead, at the Hands of a Child. How would they explain this? no one would believe them, they buried the body underneath the Ash, they could not tell anyone of this, and for all they knew, The Mer could have been trying to warn Her of something. They reached Vivec a few days later, Everyone one was asking where The Dunmer was, desperately trying to Hide what they Had done, Suspicion was getting out of hand and people were assuming there was a Murder at hand, as for Dridein, only when In His sister's defense did He find out He could control Flame, Practicing when He had the Time, He kept progressing, His Sister started learning to Barter, She was an intelligent young Girl, as Weeks went by She met a Boy She was head over heels for, However Dridein was against It, I don't think He would ever be Able to trust someone with His Sister again after what happened, But She trusted this Boy too much, and She thought He could keep a Secret, She told Him of what happened, but How can You trust someone who You've only known for so little Time? The Boy told everyone, Alerted them of their location, how Dridein was Furious, It led to an argument between Him and His Sister, they had no choice but to Leave again, they'd be Hunted, a Bounty on their Heads, Murderers, They fled Vivec, But In the end, they Had to leave Morrowind, for they Had blood on their Hands, They traveled for what seemed like Months, they were No longer In Morrowind, they had reached Black Marsh, The Homeland of the Argonians, by then they were Teenagers, they came across a Small Village, Where they spent a few Years, Dridein doing Manual Labor, and His Sister learning The herb Trade, Life seemed Good, and they both were Happy, that Is until one day, a Man came to the Village, their was something not right about this Man, a Nord, Dridein had heard about The Nords and their Homeland "Skyrim" but He never would have suspected seeing one here, a few Weeks had gone by and The Man was still around, He kept warming up to the Locals, winning The Girls Hearts, Helping out, everyone seemed to like Him, but He kept Staring at Dridein, like he knew something was going to happen, eventually Dridein's Sister started Falling for The Man, But there was no way Dridein would Let this Happen, The Man too was telling Her He "Loved" Her, Dridein and His Sister had a Furious Argument, He said it was Lust not Love, She refused to believe It, She was so determined, They eventually had nothing to say to eachother, they didn't speak for Days, but then one night, something Horrible happened, Dridein awoke to the smell of Smoke, He leapt out of Bed and stumbled blindly outside, The village was on Fire, People were screaming, This couldn't have been by Incident, someone lit the fire, He immediately started screaming for His Sister, She was nowhere to Be found, and then, there She was, standing there, being held by The Man She had fallen for, She looked into Dridein's eyes, a Look of Great sadness and Apology, Regret and fear, She gave Dridein a Smile full of Sorrow and then The Man slit Her throat. The surge of Emotion was too Great, a Scream so painful It almost shattered Him, He was on His knees, He was Broken, Beaten, How could He has let this Happen, The Man was gone, He had Won, Whoever He was, whatever His purpose was, It was fulfilled, but One thing, one thing the Man did not seem to know was that After Sadness comes anger, but Dridein's Sadness was Greater then Anything and His Rage was like The year He was Born In, This unforgiving unnatural Rage triggered the Power He was Born with, and then He became, a Creature, an Unnatural Creature of Great proportion and Strength, a Creature that could Crush Houses, Turn City walls into Rubble, Devour People whole, and there was Only one word The Man was to know "The Wolf Is coming"

Well that's My Character's backstory :P I have more where that came from :D I hope You like It, as for Stories, Movies, Books, I haven't read any good ones books yet, but I find that tv shows about the Supernatural beings such as Vampires and Werewolves these days are so different from the actual Myths of Vampires and Werewolves, It's become a very Teenage drama sappy stuff, which I hate :yucky: I really ought to watch all the Old and Popular Werewolf Movies, I prefer Werewolves over Vampires but that doesn't mean I have anything against Vampires, I do like them Too, I always Play a Werewolf Character on The games I play, but there are different myths of Werewolf The popular (Anthro werewolf) and more original and then The Wolf shapeshifters (I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT TWILIGHT) more Spiritual I guess, I'd choose The Actual Wolf, I've always preferred that Form.

all and all, I love Myths, and enjoy the Company of those who do Too.

very cool story, haha you and kanesghost have awesome back stories! I really enjoyed reading them :smile: It's true, lately i havent seen much on tv or in movies that i enjoy, a lot of them are very teenagey-love-drama-lame type shows. vampire diaries? teen wolf? Mmmmnnnoooope. lol, i think the last movie i saw about vampires and lycans that i actually liked, was underworld. even though it had a bit of cheesiness to it, it was still better than twlight lol. I think I might do some scouring for some old books and maybe some graphic novels, tv will always be glitzy and glamorous so probably not always the best place for good lore or deep stories.

on the note of needles character having a true wolf form, ive been wanting to add the path of the druid mod so i can shapeshift into true wolf form. I like the idea of being able to shift into a natural wolf for scouting and sneak purposes, and then when in battle, i use the werewolf form, kind of like berserk mode haha =P

anywho, seriously, again! great stories haha, it reeled my interest enough that i'm all like "damn well what happens next?!" great job guys, glad im not the only one with an elaborate back story for a video game character. RP nerds for the win

Edited by thejeneral462

Hmm about the werewolf's it's just a stereotype thing, with the wolfs being friendly to werewolf's. in true nature werewolfs are a disgrace to nature, they are more like zombies with extreme hunger. The same goes for vampires. That's why nature seems to go after them-

A werewolf is a hybrid human and wolf- The ultimate predator, nature then sees this and put's the werewolf in to situation were a human has to eventually kill them. lol predator vs predator

Vampires are even outside earth are hated by the sun and the stars. look into how the first vampire got his powers.

To be a vampire is to welcome hell and vampires have a weakness to fire lol.

Seeing as this would happen everything in the wild would attack the werewolf even it's own mind (the hunt, oh i killed this like a savage, what have i done type of thing). This would strengthening the "wolf" side causing the person to be trapped in there own flesh, That's why i said it would be best to have a normal person or a weak minded person to get the curse. They would be a lone wolfs always on the run or the hunt.

Two or three werewolfs can help get rid of the curse faster if at all, a large pack would have the aim of the the one lone werewolf... run and hunt. trapped inside their mind. (per pressure)

also remember werewolfs never show genitals... doesn't have any. can't make werewolf babies like actual wolfs.

Vampires- hmm hmm, they can't reproduce with themselves, they need humans to get hybrid babies. Their bloodline gets tinted every 40 years or so. so the year for the world would have to be a bit before the Viking's time to make them a bit stronger and better hidden.

Vampire's can get stuck in large humanoid bat form from evidence over the years of tinted blood for weaker vampires. they try to achieve this crappy perfect form and end up killing themselves. This kills their stealth

The best personality of the vampire would be Harkon's from skyrim

Power hungry and those not look thirty.

The hybrid- werepire or vamwolf- what ever peps call it.

They are also trap in this form, there vampire and werewolf blood cause blood sparks, giving them an adrenaline boost, it's not fully dead and not fully alive, the vampire part will never have to feed again and the effect's from the sun only slightly hurts like in skyrim.

There's a 50% of wings for the creature, the person sadly will fade on each day, The Hunt will get boring and they can still die by hitting the ground to hard-

A perfect example is they just jump or fly to high an land so hard it's bones get crush. The vampire side will bleed out because the blood would keep going till it bleeds out draining the vampire of it's food and the werewolf can not recover. (generally the best werewolf the ones that take a while to heal, when they transform back to a human the person may ask themselves what the heck happened)

They are kinda the best choice because they can be cured and faster and stronger than the normal vampire bat/ werewolf alone. But eventually the werevam will target humans out of boredom human.

Generally those mix blood are like suicide bombers. The best personality is servant couriers. At first liking the power then trying to take over the world because of his bad position.