Sensationalism run amock.

kvnchrist

You're not being force fed anything if you ignore the media, on this side of the pond the media have little to no impact on public opinion these days largely because journalists are held in contempt by most people, surveys put them right down with politicians and estate agents.

Indeed, Jim.

Same over here. Media trust is at an all-time low....

Funny how the media and the politicians cannot seem to grasp that fact.

Why should you say it's funny. The media is all that it is. They are as idelogical as their listeners and have nothing to do other than condeme those who oppose them and dirrect information in the dirrection they deem nessecary. The politicans listen to the polls, not the people. They know how to bribe and cajole, nothing more.

Why should you say it's funny. The media is all that it is. They are as idelogical as their listeners and have nothing to do other than condeme those who oppose them and dirrect information in the dirrection they deem nessecary. The politicans listen to the polls, not the people. They know how to bribe and cajole, nothing more.

Because it is funny (too me anyway) I talk to people on the streets, try to garner a little bit of their opinions, and NONE of them trust the media. Especially the "big three" TV networks. Love 'em or hate 'em, FOX is still the most trusted....... at least 4 years running now. (according to PEW research)

Ratings rule that roost...and always will, unless an alternate source of trustworthy news is presented to the public. The internet is a start, the downfall of overly opinionated print media is proof of that.

people have choices now, and a much broader scope of news coverage to choose from.

Because it is funny (too me anyway) I talk to people on the streets, try to garner a little bit of their opinions, and NONE of them trust the media. Especially the "big three" TV networks. Love 'em or hate 'em, FOX is still the most trusted....... at least 4 years running now. (according to PEW research)

Ratings rule that roost...and always will, unless an alternate source of trustworthy news is presented to the public. The internet is a start, the downfall of overly opinionated print media is proof of that.

people have choices now, and a much broader scope of news coverage to choose from.

What are the percentages of those who know more about America Idol than know who the Vice President is?

Media is far larger than the tradictional news services. It is My Space, Twitter and several other "I have no life" placs on the internet, including forums like this. Beleve me, I've ran the gambit of ideological forums from the far right to the far left. Each one of these have a loyal following of people who reurgitate bits of information until opinion has taken on vaneer of truth.

I've been witness to verbal lynchings of people who have said silly things in print and over the airwaves. They post something some wackjob said and they condeme everyone on the opposite side of issue by his words. The hatred at times in these places constricts those who hate less to that of bystanders, since one word of causion can easily turn you into a target of those who would deem you less pure.

This is the one thing that many who come to these places don't really understand, until they are rolled over. No matter how rigid your standards there is always someone who considers themselves more rigid and if they are more affluent than you, you will always have to watch your words and your back.

What are the percentages of those who know more about America Idol than know who the Vice President is?

I think it's more about that 'kardashian'(?) woman with the mega-butt.

Media is far larger than the tradictional news services. It is My Space, Twitter and several other "I have no life" placs on the internet, including forums like this

Exactly why i stated the following....

"people have choices now, and a much broader scope of news coverage to choose from. "

I've ran the gambit of ideological forums from the far right to the far left. Each one of these have a loyal following of people who reurgitate bits of information until opinion has taken on vaneer of truth.

As have I. There are always those who love to preach to the choir. The A-typical ignorance is bliss scenario. they feel secure in the talking points the keep them kosher in the framework of the members majority.....

I have seen sites that cater to both 'sides' closed down because dedicated partisans refused to act civilly and respect each others opinions. It even got to the point on one local site where law enforcement became involved.

Nowadays, political opinion are attache to ones pride. Sort of like and appendage.

Exactly why i stated the following....

"people have choices now, and a much broader scope of news coverage to choose from. "

It's really not the avalibity of choices that matter but the ability to process information. People who have their own sets of truths need no diversity to keep them. There are so many out there that blame only the media for the partisanship. There are many who seek out the message they agree with and add their voices to the choir.

I'm certain that these media sources would not have the power they do without the willing participation of loyal goosesteppers. It's a perfect storm of reactionres feeding off themselve to make eachother feel relivant.

It's really not the avalibity of choices that matter but the ability to process information. People who have their own sets of truths need no diversity to keep them. There are so many out there that blame only the media for the partisanship. There are many who seek out the message they agree with and add their voices to the choir.

Oh, believe me, availability factors in also. For instance, many folks in the US cannot watch FNC because it is a cable network, They don't have a 'world news tonight" like - scenario th at is available to anybody that can hook a pair of rabbit-ears to their television.

The main stream media is not solely to blame for the rigid partisanship that is now engulfing our nation, but, they play a huge role in driving the wedge into the fabric of the nation....Think- Ferguson, MO......A sensitive issue like that, and, well, if you have two eyes and ears......Cannot go further cause it is a sensitive issue on this site also....

Not blaming this site. I understand your stance , :)

Over sensationalism and manufacturing of news is nothing new. The best known historical examples come from the mid 1890s when there was a newspaper war between Pulitzer & Hearst news groups. That's when the term 'yellow journalism' was coined. In their zeal to outdo each other they are now believed to be one of the primary reasons for the Spanish American war. Essentially - over-hyped news caused a war. (sound familiar?)

The most famous example of a claim is the apocryphal story that artist Frederic Remington telegrammed Hearst to tell him all was quiet in Cuba and "There will be no war." Hearst responded "Please remain. You furnish the pictures and I'll furnish the war." Historians now believe that no such telegrams ever were sent.

The more things change the more they remain the same.

Indeed it's nothing new, the media has always peddled lies and agendas, the difference now is the internet and the free flow of information, those who choose to find things out for themselves soon see the media for what it is.