Recommended modding systems?

I'm buying a christmas present for my younger cousin, and she wants to become a game designer one day.

I thought that a good way to start her out towards her dream(if she sticks with it, shes 16) is to get her a good system to mod video games.

I'm not as worried about price as I am worried about quality.

I want to get her something good, but also comes with some sort of tutorial or instructions as this will be her first serious attempt at anything like this! She mentioned she may want to specialize in graphic design as well, but just mentioned it only.

I also would like some recommendations on some video games to give her for it! I'm buying her Skyrim, but I don't know of anything else.

She is a big athlete and so doesn't have time to play many games and so doesn't have many preferences

• 2 weeks later...

heh, if you want her to become a game designer one day, get her into programming. (C++ specifically.) , OpenGL, the unreal engine, the cryengine, the unity engine, or if she leans towards the graphics side, teach her 3dStudio Max, Maya, Photoshop...

... not modding games!

and for that, any current system with a GPU will do.

edit: and why? because modding is a hobby for those with the aformentioned talents already honed.

Edited by VileTouch

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in the planning stages of a new system build - from the ground floor up. I have been using a modest entry level PC, but it will not accommodate the Skyrim immersion mods I would like to explore without a significant FPS drag. To date I have studied and double-checked the S.T.E.P. recommendations. With a little sacrifice, I plan to build, or have built, an "Exceptional" system (Logical Increments PC Buying Guide), but even STEP has its limitations. Whenever I consult a custom PC shop (Origin), they pepper me with add-ons that STEP has not addressed - RAID configurations, and wireless connections for example. I'm aware that some of this may be unnecessary, but I would like to make sure that the system will stay relevant to the next generation of gaming (I've noticed that the Xbox One has an AMD 8 core 1.75 GHZ for example), while accommodating a little lite graphics programming (i've got a mod in mind). What's a good on-line source, outside of the various custom build manufacturers, for this kind of project. PCs for Dummies? ;)

We have a lot of system build threads around, they don't go obsolete for half a year or so. For any advice you must state your budget.

The only requirements a programming/modding/design system adds are:

* More RAM - 8+ GB, it's not a mistake to take 16.

* Larger SSD - for OS, software and projects, not just OS (240GB+)

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly FMod. I am a solvent but miserly consumer. Been saving up, watching ULTIMATE with Linus Sebastian among other things. Let's say upwards of a 7K limit before periferals, but I hate wasting bread. The Origin designs are prohibitively expensive, and somewhat two dimensional. The ULTIMATE "silent" build intrigues me, though I am hesitant to do it myself.

7K in what currency? $7,000 would be far above what you reasonably or unreasonably need in one purchase. A system with no room for useful improvement would currently cost US $2,800-$3,500 initially (at PCPP/NE prices) and ~$800-$1,200/year to keep up to date.

Yes, in US $. $2.800-$3,500? I like the sound of that, though one would never know consulting the Origin web site. I set the $7K benchmark based on their builds. Your strategy appeals to me - a lower initial investment with a long term commitment. I can do that, but got so many questions. Finding custom build websites are tricky. Just gotta slowly read my way through the ones I've found I guess -- Puget, Endnoise, and silentPCreview for example.

$7k?

http://i.imgur.com/pabPPRY.gif

what, are you buying at the alienware shop?

with 1k-1.5k you can build a decent computer these days if you know which stones to turn

Edited by VileTouch

That is exactly why I'm here - to find out which stones to turn. I hear a lot of things about sweet systems. Though truthfully I'm not really interested in Alienware ($$) or Origin ($$$), a Puget Serenity might seduce me ($). Some of the things I hear are quite contradictory nevertheless - like the advantages/disadvantages of two graphics cards. Experts stand on both sides of the issue, but I'd like to hear from the 2K (different K) modding community. What do you think?