After update, FE:LE won't recognise changes to core xml files

jadebrain

Hello! I will sometimes edit the core xml files to produce changes in my FE:LH game; after the game updates, I will re-make the changes manually. However, after the most recent update, my FE:LH game seems to not apply the changes I've made. Any idea why this is happening?

Edited by jadebrain

FE:LH will read the xml from the Core files first and then it will read the xml from the Mods files. So if you modified something in the Core files but it is still showing the old values, I think the possibilities are as follow:

1. Did you start a new game? Changes done to the xml only apply to new games

2. If you have both FE and FE:LH, make sure you are modifying files in the FE:LH folder

3. Check your xml syntax to make sure you aren't missing a closing tag somewhere

4. If you are using mods, double-check to make sure those mods aren't undoing your Core files modifications

FE:LH will read the xml from the Core files first and then it will read the xml from the Mods files. So if you modified something in the Core files but it is still showing the old values, I think the possibilities are as follow:

1. Did you start a new game? Changes done to the xml only apply to new games

2. If you have both FE and FE:LH, make sure you are modifying files in the FE:LH folder

3. Check your xml syntax to make sure you aren't missing a closing tag somewhere

4. If you are using mods, double-check to make sure those mods aren't undoing your Core files modifications

I've already made sure to do all of those things. It still doesn't work.

Can you post an example of a change you've done that is not showing in-game?

Also, when you exit the game, is that change undone in the xml or is it still there?

I mostly edit values, like tile yields (both for terrain and as increased by world resources) or spell costs. The change does not seem to be undone in the xml files after exiting.

So if you change the mana cost of, say, "StealSpirit" to 40 mana instead of 20, it will still be 20 when you go in LH?

If that's the case, it's quite unusual since SpellResourceCost is added from Core files and Mod files, meaning if you had multiple values in your Core and Mod files, the mana Cost would be higher no matter what. It would certainly not stay the same.

Here is some more stuff you can check/disable:

- Do you by any chance have some backup files in your LH folder? If you do, it could be that those files are read after the core files.

- Can you disable the Cloud in Steam? (Steam > Settings > Cloud > Uncheck Steam Cloud) or at least the LH version of it (LH > Properties > Updates > Uncheck Steam Cloud)?

- While that should make no difference if you change the values in the Core folder, do you have "Use Mods" enabled in LH?

I can test your CoreSpells.xml file if you upload it to dropbox or some similar service.

Edited by PrimalSavage

I tried the CoreSpells.xml, but there's only one modded spell in there (TirelessMarch), all others have original values, so maybe that's why you are not seeing any changes? As far as I can tell, if you want the modifications for TirelessMarch to work, you will need to remove/disable an additional line:<UniqueSpellUnlock>TirelessMarch</UniqueSpellUnlock> . Then I tried CoreAbilities.xml (again there is only one modification to that file - Adepts: +300 mana) and that modification made it in the game.

I'm not sure why it's not working for you, but those files are working fine from the Core (English) folder. At this point I would "Verify Integrity of Game Cache", mod the files again, and start a new game, but I doubt that will solve the problem. The reason for that is Legendary Heroes -has- to read files from somewhere for the game to work. If you are able to start the game, then the files are obviously being read and if they are being read, then the values you have put in are obviously being used. If they are not being used, it means (1) your files are not in the right folder, (2) some mod is overwriting the changes you did (a possibility for CoreSpells.xml, but not for CoreAbilities.xml), (3) You have two copies of LH installed in different folders and the one you are modding isn't the one that is being used by the game. I think you can find out which folder is being used by Steam/LH if you go to LH > Properties > Local Files > Browse Local Files. See if those are the files you are using.

Other than that, I can't think of anything else.

I tried the CoreSpells.xml, but there's only one modded spell in there (TirelessMarch), all others have original values, so maybe that's why you are not seeing any changes? As far as I can tell, if you want the modifications for TirelessMarch to work, you will need to remove/disable an additional line:<UniqueSpellUnlock>TirelessMarch</UniqueSpellUnlock> . Then I tried CoreAbilities.xml (again there is only one modification to that file - Adepts: +300 mana) and that modification made it in the game.

I'm not sure why it's not working for you, but those files are working fine from the Core (English) folder. At this point I would "Verify Integrity of Game Cache", mod the files again, and start a new game, but I doubt that will solve the problem. The reason for that is Legendary Heroes -has- to read files from somewhere for the game to work. If you are able to start the game, then the files are obviously being read and if they are being read, then the values you have put in are obviously being used. If they are not being used, it means (1) your files are not in the right folder, (2) some mod is overwriting the changes you did (a possibility for CoreSpells.xml, but not for CoreAbilities.xml), (3) You have two copies of LH installed in different folders and the one you are modding isn't the one that is being used by the game. I think you can find out which folder is being used by Steam/LH if you go to LH > Properties > Local Files > Browse Local Files. See if those are the files you are using.

Other than that, I can't think of anything else.

Sorry for the delay... a lot of games suddenly stopped working right on my computer, and I've been trying to fix them. Anyway...

As far as I can tell, none of those other possibilities you mentioned are what's wrong. My files are in the correct folder, all the mods I have merely introduce content without changing any existing content, and I only have one copy of LH installed.