How do you connect a player character to a faction?

Jusoon

hello, long time listener, first time caller. I am trying to make a unique race (the reachmen) and I would like to make them neutral with the Forsworn. I've created a Reachman faction and added it to the Forsworn faction list as neutral but I don't know how to attach the new faction to the player character.

I would just copy the method used for joining a faction in the civil war, but I'm also drawing a blank looking for the exact way that is done as well.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Thanks for the link! I've already watched the video, however, and he does not cover the actual embedding of the player character into a faction. My question is "how do you assign the Player to a faction"? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

You assign them the same way you would for a custom made NPC - Find "Player" in the actors section, & assign the new faction in the factions section. This will automatically make them a member of that faction. If you want them to have to do quests etc. before joining, that gets more complicated & I don't have experience in that. I mainly used factions as a way to sort out what groups can use what furniture in my mod.

DO NOT edit the player character! It simply isn't done.

If you want to add the player to a faction, you can create an alias or use the script function AddToFaction().

Do you have any experience working with quests? (I ask so I know to what level of experience to target further explanation.)

You assign them the same way you would for a custom made NPC - Find "Player" in the actors section, & assign the new faction in the factions section. This will automatically make them a member of that faction. If you want them to have to do quests etc. before joining, that gets more complicated & I don't have experience in that. I mainly used factions as a way to sort out what groups can use what furniture in my mod.

Thank you! That was exactly what I was looking for!

DO NOT edit the player character! It simply isn't done.

If you want to add the player to a faction, you can create an alias or use the script function AddToFaction().

Do you have any experience working with quests? (I ask so I know to what level of experience to target further explanation.)

I have no real experience working with Skyrim quests. I did some quest modding in Morrowind, but that was ages ago.

Well just in case you want to have the player keep the same relationship throughout:

Create a new quest. Make sure it is start game enabled.

Add a new alias to the quest.

Click the button to the right of Specific Reference.

For cell, choose "Any."

For reference, choose "PlayerRef"

In the Alias Data box, right-click in the Alias Factions pane and select "Add"

Select your new faction from the list.

Click OK to save the alias and OK to save the quest.

This is better than editing the Player actor because lots of people want to make changes to the player character and if we all did then our changes would all overlap. Therefore editing the player through aliases is considered the proper way to do it.

That makes a lot of sense. Actually, when I looked back, I never edited the player character like I thought I did, but I did assign all the NPC's I created to the player faction, among others I created.

So, hopefully you won't mind if I ask a question too, since I am trying to do something similar in my own mod... I mainly created different factions as a way to establish group ownership of different furniture & idle markers for a boarding school mod. This keeps boy students from sleeping in the beds in the girls dorm room, & adults from sleeping in childrens beds or sitting in the childrens classroom desks, etc. I assigned every NPC I created to the factions I wanted using the method I described above, & I also did this for every child NPC made by Bethesda, so that in case the player decides to recruit an orphaned child in their playthrough, they will already be assigned to the appropriate factions & use all the correct furniture & idle markers when sandboxing. Was it okay to do this that way, or am I asking for troublr down the road?

And a bigger question is, how can I make it so when a player recruits a custom follower, the follower will be assigned to the appropriate factions? I was thinking it could be done through a dialogue menu, with scripting going on behind the scenes based on dialogue choices, but I don't know enough to be sure this is the best way to go about it.