CTD, no solution?

Stefijn

I recenlty installed win 8.1x64 on m core i5 750, R9-290 4gb, 8Gb, 256Gb SSD computer.

I'm using MO to organize my mods. I had around 150 mods installed. I tried to copy the whole MO-dir to the new win 8.1x64 installment, which at first seemed to work fine, after starting a new playthrough.

When I reached around level 5 I returned to Whiterun from the West and experienced a CTD, around 750m before the city. This was a consequent CTD. So I figured my mod-setup or savegames where "problematic"

After that, I started trying to find out what causes this CTD. After trying all kinds of things I:

- check loadorder

- check savegame with savegamescalpel

- remove specific mods

- removed all mods (except 3 DLCs)

- updated MO keeping my config

- removed ENB

- removed SKSE

- reset INI's to default

Today I totally removed the game and installed it fresh. But even when starting the game totally default (even without DLC) I still get this specific CTD.

The CTD: when I start the game to test, I "coc whiterun". After this command you start on the bridge facing eastwards. Then I turn around facing Whiterun. In 40-50% the game CTDs when WR comes into view.

If not, in another 30% the game CTDs when I just jump/turn around a little bit on the bridge.

This evening, I read http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/753253-only-you-can-prevent-forest-fires/page-5 and tried every option

- new install

- fresh SKSE with skse.ini

- uGridstoLoad

- default ini's

But I still get this CTD.

Now....reading the topic I realize that "coc whiterun" and turning around could "stress" the game-engine since Whiterun has to load and maybe the game needs a bit more startup time.

But I'm kind of relucant to rebuild my mod-setup since now I'm in a spot where even a default game CTDs, also when I "coc whiterun" and wait a few moments :confused:

I mean, maybe it's not a problem but just a little Skyrimbug I will have to live with (and not use "coc whiterun"....)

Any suggestions?

Edited by Stefijn

Have you tried playing in windowed mode, as opposed to full screen? I had to do that, as my computer is a little old, and cant handle the strain of the a full screen skyrim.

Or look up to see if the new nvidia update has anything to do with it. don't know if you have it, but i think the lateist nvidia geforce experience something or other causes CTD's in a bunch of games

Edited by Cactuspunch

I'll try, but I'd like to think that my PC should be able to run fullscreen (it's able to get 40+fps with my 150mod setup incl. Realvision ENB). Surely a default game should be no prolbem. I also tried the borderless window patch/mod, but that didn't work.

But I'll try, tnx for the tip

nope: 1280x720 windowed, still the same CTD

I should say that when I "coc riverwood", then run to the bridge at WR and turn around a bit the game didn't crash.

Saving at that point, restarting/loading the save and CTD again.

Maybe it's just a bad spot...

Edited by Stefijn

Thanks anyway.

A conclusion I just came up with: while it's annoying, I think this type of CTD will not cause problems in my savegame after I add my mods and start a playthrough (and render my playthrough useless once I'm reaching hours and hours of playing, that's what Im afraid of). It's probalby some memory-related problem which will ocassionaly cause CTDs..?

Edited by Stefijn

I have run around that area for hours and no crashes, Running 250+ mods including many heavy hitting mods...

Make sure you have these things set -up properly...

Stable Ugrids to load

SKSE w/SKSE.ini

ENB (with or without Graphics) all current ENB's come with the BOOST feature.

With the 3 above things, Skyrim is completely stable. I normally play extended sessions (4 - 8 hours) and Even with Perma, Frostfall, Wet n cold , no crashes.

Other tools / things needed.

LOOT

Tes5Edit

Wrye Bash

MO (Mod Orginizer)

SPM (Skyrim Performance Monitor)

WE have everything we need for Skyrim to play nicely....:)

Maybe I'll start allover again with a(nother) fresh windows install...

Just a check though if you would like: if you start Skyrim, go to console, "coc whiterun" (i.e. start new game instantly) and immediatly turn around a few times, no CTDs?

Must say that I did not have this specific problem ..untill I switched to win8.1? :ermm: ... I played Skyrim from mid 2013 untill okt 2014 on Win 7...

(In fact, I still have the win 7 partition with my old installation - complete with all mods), so I will check if I have this Whiterun CTD on my old config :dry: )

edit: sooo...I started my win 7 partition, and under win 7 my Skyrim-installation (complete with all mods) does not CTD when I "coc whiterun"... :geek:

Could it be a Win8.1 related problem? Are you using win7 or 8?

I switched to win8 a few months ago because it performs so well overall (and hoped to maybe get a few fps extra) but it seems to be the root of the problem...

Edited by Stefijn

I'm on Win7... I've done many coc whiterun(blahblah) for testing and not had a CTD issue.

ON A VANILLA GAME INSTALL...

The first thing I'd do is camaro's SKSE+SKSE.ini mem patch install. I mean, it fixes a known CTD bug.

WARNING: (This modifies system files; use cautiously.) There's lots of talk on other game forums about Win8/8.1 and DirectX. You might try running Skyrim\DirectX10\DXSETUP.exe to make sure you have the old DX stuff needed by Skyrim installed on Win8.1. Regardless of outcome, I would then run whatever DXDiag utility might come with 8.1 to make sure nothing's broken.

I would also check your HW manufacturer sites and see if there are any Win8/8.1 specific drivers you might need.

Tnx.

I tried reinstalling DirectX, run DXdiag (no errors). Found that in ENBlocal.ini one setting wasn't correct for AMD-cards but that didn't fix the problem (would be strange since the problem is exactly the same with of without ENB)

My motherboard is a MSI p55-gd65 for which there are no specific Win8 drivers, it's a bit of an older system (i5 750 clocked to 3,7Ghz*) so this might be something.

Can't fix that though except buy a new system (been looking into that for a while but not really inerested in investing €500 euros atm)

Maybe I should go back to win7 on this machine (don't think I win any fps on win8 anyway), but first I need to try a fresh install of everything

(*) my overclock is 100% stable (more that 1,5year now), it runs perfectly @4.2Ghz but then the temps are too high. When I keep it at 3,7 the temps are cool and the noise keeps nice and low

Of course I could try to lower the overclock, but then there's no need to use win8 at all anymore because that WILL lower my fps ;)

Edited by Stefijn