Continuation of Dicovery1's Atmospheres, and more.

TesaPlus

Hello, folks,

on December 3rd, discovery1 contacted me via PM, saying that, for personal reasons, he is retiring from modding for the time being, perhaps forever.

I am repeating the message here, replacing parts related to Discovery1's personal situation with ellipsisses:

--- 8< --- 8< --- 8< --- 8< ---

If you want you can have exclusive rights to all my mods for whatever purpose. [...] Atmospheres could do with more work on it but its out of the question, at the moment I am not sure if I will be back so do what ever you want with it with my blessing.

--- >8 --- >8 --- >8 --- >8 ---

I did not find this message until two days later, replying, short version, that there are people out there being better suited for the task of continuing the work, but that I would be honoured to do the house-keeping for him until he returned.

He never replied. Apparently he was being serious when whishing me "a fine xmas". Checking Discovery1's activity log, we find this message might have been among the last things he did on this site (the log states an image upload on Dec. 7th, but that is a bug, it was someone else's image).

-- -- --

Whenever we walk in the game, everywhere we look in the image section, we see Discovery1's art, and our thoughts go out to him.

-- -- --

Now, what do we do now. The Imperial Ecologies are finalised, I would say.

So it is about The Imperial Firmament, which has fallen out of Discovery1's grace, and Atmospheres.

I cannot take "... do whatever you want with it ..." too literally. If Discovery1 had wanted to open up his work as a modders' resource, he could have simply stated so in the description page, that would have been about as much hassle as sending me a PM.

Another thing is, that I do not have access to the mod's page.

I thought, I could open a patch and branch page, where I invite people to upload their modifications.

I am at my wit's end, really. It's your turn, now. I am listening.

Please understand, that it is not unlikely, that I am not very talkative over the holidays.

Have a fine Christmas.

Tesa,

This is a very sad moment. Discovery1 has done some incredible work with flora and atmosphere modding. Unfortunately that type of work is outside of my zone. Hopefully someone else will pick up the torch.

In response to your dilemma. I believe that when someone tells you "do whatever you want with it", that is exactly what it means. However, it appears to me ta least that you were entrusted to keep things safe...but at the same time keep them alive for the community. Something I am slightly familiar with. You are obviously trying to find the right path here which I applaud. My point of view with that kind of trust would be finding someone skilled enough to finish the projects while maintaining Discoveries theme for the project as much as possible. Nobody else will have the same visions, but we have some great examples to follow already so it should be possible for someone to pick up the pieces and get it done.

Hah, ohla, , thanks! That was beyond my imagination, that someone wouldn't know Discovery1 :^).

Mhahn, thank you for taking the time. Your view on this is greatly appreciated. And you nailed my problem pretty well. :^) So, the next step would be to hire a head-hunter. -- And I have not yet let down the hope, that, say next spring, with a fresh wind, a fully invigorated D. is sailing in, taking the seat again.