Bug with talking to Wynne?

Tanyuu

I can't pinpoint the exact time when this started happening, but I can no longer talk to Wynne without bugging out my game in a rather hilarious way.

My screen will suddenly have a blue backdrop, and sometimes I'll see the back of Dog's paws close up. I seem to be clipping inside Wynne's skirt. I'll hear Wynne falling (?) and I get the option to say 'Are you alright' and two other options. Wynne talks about how tired she is and how she thought it was the end.

After the brief conversation is over, I return to overhead view, but the background is black except for the sky and some other atmosphere graphics and the interface. I can talk to other party members, but it doesn't reset anything. I can't move unless I use my keyboard. I've tried talking a screenshot, but so far I've been unable to.

This happens regardless of whether I talk to her in camp or talk to her in my party, and running the game without my few mods doesn't seem to change anything. I was able to talk to her before, but ever since a certain point, I've been unable to without triggering this bug.

Has anyone else run into this bug? Is there a way to get around it? My game is updated up to 1.05, and I have the Dragon Age: Ultimate Edition version.

Edited by Tanyuu

It's quite possible that there's a mod borking things up! While I'm used to installing/managing mods from my Sims 2/3 days, I'm still a novice with DA mods even with Nexus Mod Manager doing most of the dirty work for me.

The mods I have installed are:

Madd Gift Guide 1.1

Extra Dog Slot 1.41

Lock Bash 7

Make Console Commands Visible 1.0

Bidelles Cosmetics 1.0

Vibrant Colors and More Hairstyles Compatibility Fix 1.0

More Hairstyles 0.51

A Lost Nug Quest Fix 1.1

Asala for Sten 1.0

DAModder 2.1.2b

I hope this helps.

Just in case, I'll mention that I activated the console to do something, but this was after the Wynne bug started happening. I was having trouble with getting a certain someone's sword to appear even after I talked to all the right people, haha.

Edited by Tanyuu

I don't use any of the Mod Managers so I can't speak to them.

You don't say if you have ever played the game all the way through without mods. It is really REALLY a good idea to do that so that you can tell how the game is supposed to progress.

Possible spoiler - anyone who doesn't want to know how the Wynne conversation is supposed to progress should stop reading here.

What is supposed to happen is that Wynne will collapse after a random encounter - while still in the area of the random encounter. The GW does not initiate this conversation, it is a triggered cutscene. You are (probably) hearing the sound of Wynne collapsing. After this conversation in the random encounter, there is another conversation in camp about Wynne collapsing.

You could - possibly - continue to play and just stop talking to Wynne, but you are reporting two bugs, not just one. The second was that you didn't get the sword after talking to all the right people. The first is associated with Wynne. For whatever reasons, some of the flags associated with your game don't appear to be updated correctly. My concern is that you CAN progress in the game (just don't talk to Wynne anymore), but you may end up unable to progress at some other point.

I would suggest going back to a Save before you started encountering these problems. Then start removing mods until you find the one that is the culprit. It COULD be a problem with the game itself, but I have the Ultimate Edition patched to 1.5 and I have never had either of these problems.

sorry that I don't have better news/suggestions

It's alright! I appreciate you trying to help me. I didn't know if this was a common bug, like the sword one, so I wanted to check.

I forgot to note that many of these mods are actually turned off, save for the 'dog as companion' mod, the sword, the gift guide, the nug quest, and lock bash, which I don't really use anymore now that one of my party members is leveled up that skill. However, as these were turned on at some point, like you said, they could still be effecting the game.

When I finish my game, I'm planning on playing the game a second time to explore another origin, so I'll catch more of Wynne in that playthrough. I'll definitely leave more saves to go back to like you mentioned, just in case.