Beta14 on Mac

Jmurph2000

Wow okay I feel really dumb. For anyone else who may be confused, all you need to do is right click on the shell script 'install-LW-OSX.sh' and click 'open with', then 'other' . Then search for terminal, it will appear as grayed out and will be un-clickable. However all you need to do is look at the bottom of that window and change "Enable >Recommended Applications' to 'Enable >All Applications' and it will be selectable. It will automatically run the script for you, you simply need to type either 'y' or 'n' when it asks if you wish to keep old save games. Anyways, thanks wghost81 for the help.

• 1 month later...

I was able to get this installed without Steam.

Summary:

Basically you need to edit the install-LW-OSX.sh file and copy the

XCOM: Enemy Unknown - Elite Edition.app

file to the following folder:

~/Library/Containers/com.feralinteractive.xcomenemyunknown/Data/Library/Application Support/Feral Interactive/XCOM Enemy Unknown - Elite Edition/

1. ) EDIT install-LW-OSX.sh (starting at Line 7 to line 15):

USERFILES=~/Library/Containers/com.feralinteractive.xcomenemyunknown/Data/Library/Application\ Support/Feral\ Interactive/XCOM\ Enemy\ Unknown\ -\ Elite\ Edition/XEW
INSTALLDIR=~/Library/Containers/com.feralinteractive.xcomenemyunknown/Data/Library/Application\ Support/Feral\ Interactive/XCOM\ Enemy\ Unknown\ -\ Elite\ Edition
INSTALL_DATA_DIR="Data/XEW/XComGame"

MOD_DATA_DIR="`dirname "$0"`/install-files"
MOD_CONFIG_DIR="${MOD_DATA_DIR}/xcomgame/config"

FERAL_OVERRIDES="xcomgame/localization/int/xcomgame.int xcomgame/localization/int/xcomuishell.int"
FERAL_OVERRIDE_DIR=XCOM\ Enemy\ Unknown\ -\ Elite\ Edition.app/Contents/Resources/MacOverrides/XEW

2.) Temporarily copy the XCOM: Enemy Unknown - Elite Edition.app from your /Applications/ folder to:

~/Library/Containers/com.feralinteractive.xcomenemyunknown/Data/Library/Application Support/Feral Interactive/XCOM Enemy Unknown - Elite Edition/

3.) RUN install-LW-OSX.sh in Terminal.

4.) After it completes, Move XCOM: Enemy Unknown - Elite Edition.app back to your /Applications/ folder.

That's it. Worked for me. Took me an hour of fiddling with it to make it work. Thanks guys for making the Long War,

Tennessee 626 totsubo.

• 2 weeks later...

For me it seems like the mod is not entirely installed although I did not get any error messages.

I get the first mission with 6 soldiers and their ranks are a bit different from the original, but the missions themselves are pretty much the same.

I also get 6 soldiers in a mission from the start, but not in red. No new missions.

Anyone had this as well ?

T.

Edited by Tomarsh

• 2 weeks later...

I think I've experienced a similar issue Tomarsh. I started with 6 soliders and a few other LW modifications but many others that I've read about aren't there (fatigue, many SW options, interceptor experience, and a few others).

HI Guys,

I'm just having some issues modding for Long War on my Mac and I'm looking for some help. I've been working on this for two days now, and put many hours into it, and I simply need help.

I have downloaded the file and am working at running the .sh file. I have tried taking the following advice from this thread "Wow okay I feel really dumb. For anyone else who may be confused, all you need to do is right click on the shell script 'install-LW-OSX.sh' and click 'open with', then 'other' . Then search for terminal, it will appear as grayed out and will be un-clickable. However all you need to do is look at the bottom of that window and change "Enable >Recommended Applications' to 'Enable >All Applications' and it will be selectable. It will automatically run the script for you, you simply need to type either 'y' or 'n' when it asks if you wish to keep old save games. Anyways, thanks wghost81 for the help." ............... but when I open the file with Terminal ... nothing happens.

I read elsewhere that I should drag the file into Terminal ... and it says 'Permission Denied.

Then I tried copy/pasting the contents into Terminal, and it doesn't paste anywhere near as many lines. Instead it shrinks to about 20 lines and says 'Process Complete'. Figuring that this was successful, I open X Com through Steam and ... it doesn't have a 'Long War' tab, and no options for Not So Long War or anything.

Any help I could get would be greatly appreciated. I tried to follow the long and tedious alternative installation options on the wiki site, but get lost after step 4ish. They don't seem to be well written, as by step 4 they refer to 'copied files' that I never copied. But then I'm not a programmer so I don't know what's going on.

Please help!

PS: Upon more investigation, this seems to be a problem with Terminal. I have consulted some guides to get around the 'Permission Denied' issue, and they have suggested I enter 'sudo' and enter first, but I have tried this to no avail.

Edited by TonyH122

• 2 weeks later...

Had troubles with "permission denied" messages.

To solve this you need to do this as a super user: "sudo".

This can be confusing for normal users.

Here's how to do it:

Open Terminal App.

Go to the folder where you extracted the Longwar Mod files.

This is optional, a shortcut to get to the right directory for that works like this:

Open Terminal and then drag the folder with the Longwar mod to the Terminal Icon in the Dock. NOT on the already running terminal window, BUT on the ICON in the dock.

A new Terminal window will open and this will already be in the LW Mod directory.

2. Enter the following command:

sudo ./install-lw-osx.sh

The terminal will then ask for your Mac account password. Put it in and confirm with Enter.

The installation will then proceed normally.

Press y or n for the questions it ask.

Have fun! :D