Unwrap UVW problem

MikeTharnos1

Hi im new at 3ds max , why is my Unwrap UVW is not look like his Unwrap UVW . Sorry for my bad english ;_;

His unwrap:

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h377/mike_toreno1/4544_zps86a45632.png

My unwrap:http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h377/mike_toreno1/5454_zpsc3e1abe1.png

Edited by MikeTharnos1

Try going into Mapping > Flatten Mapping... and see if that will unwrap the UV maps properly. Otherwise, change the selection type to Polygon and then under Explode, use Flatten By Face Angle or any of the other ones.

If that fails, then the mesh itself might have some problems, but I cannot diagnose it. Good luck, anyhow. :)

• 5 weeks later...
The only thing I can say is that it looks like you have the "show map seams" function on. I was taught to turn that off and create my own seams by using line mode and the "convert to seam" button. Also, 3DS max doesn't like working with triangles (even though most game engines require it), so maybe that's the problem? If you can, try turning triangulation off and make sure that you're working with polygons instead and see if that helps.

• 1 month later...

Triangles are Satan.

Collapse your stack, Right click editable mesh and make it an editable poly. If it is still in triangles, use the modifier Quadrify. That should get you back to quads. :) Now you can unwrap. For this model, you should use pelt map.

Both unwraps are a bit messed up. The UV's should at least somewhat resemble the shape of your mesh.

For this, you can use a number of different options. (pelt map, cylindrical, or under mapping > flatten mapping) A planar map could probably even work on this too.

If things are looking better, I'd probably run 2 seams under the armpits on each side. If not, one down the middle of the front or back.

Don't forget to relax the UV's too. Under tools > relax > relax by face angle.