[Updated] Nexus Trojan/Virus alert

Dark0ne

I was going to ask the same thing that Thandal mentioned...however, if this were an angle that companies could actually utilize against ad companies, they would have done it long ago because marketing ad servers have been a prime target for infestation for a VERY long time.

LHammonds

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's 11:30 US Eastern time and I am still getting it.

They really need some way for a user to allow a single site. Every time I try to look at a mod it pops up - if I click on the allow - it lets me proceed. Only checked several on the Oblivion part so far though.

Edit: I just checked the FO3 & DA mods and did not get the redirect. Still seeing it on the TES side though.

Edited by bben46

I say sue whoever provides the ads. It's their fault for not checking their content, I assume you have no control over what specific ads show up. Let them sort it out with whoever gave them the malicious ad.

I believe it's their job to check the ads before adding them to their list. That includes malware as well as bad flash video that eats up lots of processor time even on new systems, or ads that make loads of noise without warning. One of those nearly gave me a heart attack the other day because it was way louder than anything I had running. They should put some care into their product.

Got the big red prompt before getting to read this notification... needless to say, I giggled at it.

These things happen all the time; as much as it sucks to say it, malicious content is always being filtered through the internets.

Stay safe, guys. Update your stuff.

And stop neglecting that Flash/Java update prompt you keep getting. Those are just as important. :)

Edit: I just checked the FO3 & DA mods and did not get the redirect. Still seeing it on the TES side though.

Yes, the malicious software report seems to only have been directed at URLs containing "www.tesnexus.com/downloads" - so any link to a TESNexus file page, and their download links will get the warning.

You can disable all attack site warnings in Firefox, but I'd suggest this ONLY to users intent on browsing TESNexus file pages right at this moment. When you're done, or if you intend to surf to other sites you should definitely enable the warnings again. That said, to disable/enable attack site warnings in FF, go to Tools > Options > Security tab > Check/Uncheck "Block reported attack sites". Again, don't turn off these warnings and forget about it.

EDIT:

Just to note, I only make the suggestion above since Dark0ne has already isolated and removed the problem ad, and we're just waiting for the Google review to happen and those results to trickle down.

Edited by HugePinball

...Fine, I'll update my things.

I HATE YOU BEES! Wait. I HATE YOU GOOGLE!

Not really. But stop trying to protect me, I have AdBlock and NoScript running in a sort of Paranoia mode.

EDIT: Great Googly Moogly! Thanks for the tip, HugePinball!

Edited by YX33A

Freaking yikes... It seems ironic that while the site hosts a couple thousand files that it was an advert that

was carrying the trojan.

Well, I'm glad this place is active, and thanks for fixing the problem... I think I'll go scan my computer now.