Would violence be reduced if the government would end the war on drugs?

kvnchrist

I suspect the gangs would just come up with new reasons to hate/kill each other..... But, in the short term, if ALL recreational drugs were legalized, and treated just like alcohol, a lot of the wind would go out of the sails of a fair few criminal organizations. We could also dump a bunch of folks out of our jails/prisons, that were convicted of non-violent drug offenses. (possession, distribution, etc.) So, not only would we be saving money by NOT incarcerating a boatload of folks, the tax revenue would be outstanding. Some of those proceeds could be earmarked for treatment centers. Places where folks could go to kick their bad habits. Those that used excessively that didn't want the help, would soon solve the problem on their own..... Cold and callous, but, hey, this is real life. Not everything is warm and fuzzy.

I don't think that so-called "recreational drugs" should be legalized, but decriminalized so that the "joint after work" folks won't have that following them around if they get nailed torquing up a joint after work to let off some stress.

Alcoholic beverages are strictly regulated and highly taxed in the US....The same should be done if you legalize certain drugs? What will that do to the cost.....Uncle Sam has a greedy hand. Not to mention, how many of those who are "cut loose" from jail will end up on the dole?

As far as the war on drugs.....Yeah, keep fighting those who wish to prey and profit on the weakness of others. I have seen many a horror cause by addictive drugs, I would water board (and maybe worse) the *ucker that sells white in my neighborhood.

Edited by edgeburner

Decriminalizing won't generate any tax income......

Colorado is doing quite well with legalized pot. Millions in tax income.

We lost the war on drugs before it was even declared. So long as there is a market, there will be someone to provide the product. Legalizing takes away 99% of the profit, and thus, motivation, for the drug cartels. They would have to find a new way to make money. (and that would end a lot of the violence south of the border as well...... no point fighting over territory, when there isn't nearly as much profit, or demand..... for the product. A fair bit of it would be produced right here in the states.)

Decriminalizing won't generate any tax income......

Colorado is doing quite well with legalized pot. Millions in tax income.

As far as tax income...So what? As far as the millions in tax income in Colorado, there are downsides also. Downsides that extend into neighboring states. It ain't all about the money. Not to mention the fact that studies on the long term effect of marijuana use are not good.

So long as there is a market, there will be someone to provide the product. Legalizing takes away 99% of the profit, and thus, motivation, for the drug cartels. They would have to find a new way to make money

Legalizing means government involvement, which will mean taxes, regulations that benefit the lobbies/ politicians and such. This will enhance the black-market sale of drugs.....sort of like selling single cigarettes in NYC.... where there is a $5.00 tax on a pack of smokes before the retailer even purchases them. I would venture to guess that if there was not such a substantial tax on cigarettes in NYC, that dude who was killed in the struggle with police would not have had a market to sell single cigarettes. he probably would be alive today, in spite oh his health issues.

Edited by edgeburner

What's your point? Studies on the long term effects of alcohol and tobacco use aren't precisely good either, yet they are both legal...... We tried to ban alcohol once, and we see how effective that was. It actually generated MORE crime, and death, than alcohol use did.

Even with government taxes involved, prices will STILL be cheaper than black market. Not to mention significantly safer. Will there still be a market? Yep, but, somewhere along the lines, someone still has to pay for that product, and 95% of the time, they will pay taxes on it as well. (sure, there will still be theft, and folks selling under the table, but, that is in no way even remotely going to be on the scale of what we have today.)

There are going to be lobbies, politicians, and all that jazz involved in any event. Just like any other commodity. Look at the farm lobby......

So far, none of your reasoning is applicable, as it already exists on many other products on the market today. The only difference will be the government will be MAKING money on it, instead of spending billions trying to put their proverbial finger in the dike. Prohibition has never worked in the past, what leads you to believe it will work today? Are you happy with the status quo?

• 2 weeks later...

Let me give you a "for instance" type of scenario --- Where I live, a pack of Pall Mall cigarettes cost about $4.75 a pack....In NYC, they run about $15.00 a pack....I live about three hours away from NYC as the car drives (in moderate traffic). Lets say I buy 10 cartons (10 packs per carton) here, and take a morning drive to NYC and sell my smokes at $10.00 a pack. I'm saving NYC residents five buck per pack, and, making five+ bucks per pack myself. This is where govt taxes can drive the black market.

I know it's just a "for instance" but, Folks will turn to the black market when it benefits them. I remember when I was a liquor store clerk and our store sold lottery tickets, players would say that they gamble mostly on "the street" but, would play the state game "just in case my number hits". reason being - no tax on their winnings on the street.

Oh, you can buy some pretty good whiskey, if you know where to go, don't mind the lack of chemical coloring ,and, buy it much cheaper that in a liquor store. Again....minus the Govt tax machine.

As far as Colorado is concerned.....Too me, It's a wait and see.

What's your point? Studies on the long term effects of alcohol and tobacco use aren't precisely good either, yet they are both legal.

So, lets just chuck another one in?

Edited by edgeburner

Even with government taxes involved, prices will STILL be cheaper than black market. Not to mention significantly safer.

" Not to mention significantly safer."

Personally, I think that depends on the logic of the individual who is buying....and, just like alcohol, how he/she uses/abuses it.