Worst writing in the game?

Jakoporeeno

Yeah, it's not really a secret that the writing in this game shifts from acceptable too poor a lot of times. What do you think is the worst scene, note, line of dialogue, quest, plothole or anything written in the game? This is a free discussion so some people are probably gonna agree or disagree but if you have something in mind that's bothered you for reasons unknown then I hope this thread can be somewhere to just express your feelings around something in particular about the game.

Also, I'd like to see more bad lines in this thread. I find myself bothered by those almost frequently in the game.

My all time-favorite is the Justiciar execution order that you can pick up from Thalmor agents sent out to kill you. It says "Be on the look out for the *player character*. He/She is an enemy to the Thalmor, and has actively disrupted our activities and caused great harm. If spotted, you are to destroy him/her with extreme hatred"... I was laughing out loud when I read this cause that specific line is probably Tommy Wisaeu-level of terrible. It's like whoever wrote this note wanted to end it with something similiar to the scene in Apocalypse Now (terminate with extreme prejudice) so he just looked for random mean words in the dictionary to replace "prejudice" with... But really? Extreme hatred? As if that was anything useful. Come on...

What else... Faendal from Riverwood sometimes says "Riverwood's agreable enough. For a nord village" and the next second he'll say "There's beauty here, unmatched by all of Skyrim"...

I hate the dialogue between Keerava and Talen-Jei when the player sits down in their tavern: "Hey, Talen. Get off your lazy tail and help the customer!" "Keep your scales on". Oh, they're lizards. Got it. Thanks.

There's also a line that the Thalmor agents says when the player asks why it's wrong to worship Talos: "It's immoral to worship a man. And it's also illegal"

Edited by Spambot3000

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True, I don't think that vanilla Skyrim is that horribly written, but it does have quite a lot of flaws.

The nature of the main quest is boring, just another save-the-world-from-a-random-arrogant-prick. Was never able to feel anything regarding Alduin. (However, I did feel a sense of doom with both Dagoth Ur from Morrowind and Miraak from Dragonborn. I always find that mind-bender/hypnosis villains tickle my sense of doom and gloom the way entities like Alduin or Mankar Camoran and his Daedric master never do).

Informed Attributes. "Hello. I'm Mjoll the Lioness. I oppose Maven and the Thieves Guild. What do I actually do to oppose them? Good question. I go around Riften and claim to do so". Mjoll is quite likeable, but this is still a huh.

Also: "I'm a Dunmer from Windhelm. Things had been very bad around here since Ulfric took over! No, don't expect me to elaborate, and if you expected a quest of some kind about it, you won't receive it, sucko. He's a bigot, accept our world for it".

Guards continuing to refer to you as someone who just started a guild questline, when you're actually the guild's leader. Good thing there's a mod to fix it.

Way too many delivery/fetch quests. Now, I actually don't mind them as such, every fetch quest still makes a game a little bit better. But the writers seem to have treated them as a substitute for more interesting quests, rather than just an addition. Good thing 3dnpc exists.

Edited by LoneWolfEburg

Also: "I'm a Dunmer from Windhelm. Things had been very bad around here since Ulfric took over! No, don't expect me to elaborate, and if you expected a quest of some kind about it, you won't receive it, sucko. He's a bigot, accept our world for it".

You missed some content if this is all you got.

Totally Serana/Dawnguard.

Let's say you're a paladin/vampire hunter, any sort of "good" character. You get sent to check out this cave infested with vampires. You find an imprisoned vampire with an Elder Scroll. So, obviously, the most logical thing is to deliver her and the scroll to her ancient vampire family headquarters, right? Maybe not.

Let's say you're playing some sort of evilish/powerhungry character. At one point the Dawnguard story forces this "You love Serana" thing onto you with dialogue options like "I really care about her and will protect her bla". No I don't? I'd sacrifice her and use her blood to bring about the eternal night without thinking. Only the story won't let me.

Totally Serana/Dawnguard.

Let's say you're a paladin/vampire hunter, any sort of "good" character. You get sent to check out this cave infested with vampires. You find an imprisoned vampire with an Elder Scroll. So, obviously, the most logical thing is to deliver her and the scroll to her ancient vampire family headquarters, right? Maybe not.

Let's say you're playing some sort of evilish/powerhungry character. At one point the Dawnguard story forces this "You love Serana" thing onto you with dialogue options like "I really care about her and will protect her bla". No I don't? I'd sacrifice her and use her blood to bring about the eternal night without thinking. Only the story won't let me.

Whaaat? Charmed by an ancient pure-Blood vampire? That never happens to anyone.

I dint see the gripes about anything in Dawnguard... The plot, the characters, even the Aetherium side-quest were all much better than the idiotically simple Civil War.

Overall though, Skyrim is a full head and shoulders above Oblivion in terms of writing.