NMM 0.60 Alpha release with profiling, ready for testing

Dark0ne

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #21986184.

The files in the Data folder are actually Windows shortcuts/hardlinks to the files in the "VirtualInstall" folder inside your NMM directory. This even tricks Windows in to thinking the files are actually in your Data folder, and not your VirutalInstall folder. The only thing that can tell real files from these shortcuts/hardlinks is Windows Explorer's hard-drive space counter. As such, they use up little to no extra space (we're talking a few kb here).

The best way to experiment and confirm this is to:

- Make a new profile and select ' Disable all active mods'
- Go to your game folder and visibly check all your mods are gone from the data folder
- Go to Windows Explorer and check your hard-drive space
- Change back to your original profile, where all your mods are active
- Go to your Data folder again and ensure the mods are in the Data folder again
- Check your hard-drive space again

You'll notice a negligible difference in space. Edited by Dark0ne

In response to post #21986184. #21986639, #21986744 are all replies on the same post.

Cool, I was going to ask about installing texture mods only once because I'm using them all the time, but now I don't have to. Thank you for clarification. Even though I still don't understand how anything of this works, you wizards. Edited by starfis

Question: Is the target testing/audience with this alpha to figure out how well it works for people with multiple playthroughs? I'm a person who just wants one really good playthrough for the most part, so would my downloading it and feedback help even if I just used one profile? Thanks for any information.

In response to post #21986184. #21986639, #21986744, #21987694 are all replies on the same post.

If you're actually using hard-links (as opposed to Symlink reparse-points), you are aware that ReFS (the successor of NTFS) does NOT support hard-links? Not of relevance at the moment, true, but since you're always going on about "the future development", it's worth bearing in mind. If you're using symlinks then it's no big deal - they're not going anywhere - the only drawback is the admin requirement for creation. Just a thought.