NMM 0.60 Alpha release with profiling, ready for testing

Dark0ne

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #21994229.

Straight from my news post:

Please note: version 0.53, which we released recently, added a new "mod activation queue" system. Version 0.60.0a is not using this mod activation queue functionality as we are still considering version 0.53 as "in testing" rather than stable and we didn't want to complicate things by adding two relatively major changes into one big update.

To get more devs on board it might be best to move to github instead of staying at sourceforge, as there are way more .NET devs on github than there are on sourceforge. I don't mind writing some code, but I'll never go back to sourceforge again and I think a lot of fellow .NET devs think so too. (If you're already on github, then scratch my previous remark, though last I checked the source was on sourceforge.)

some feedback:

- I have no idea what the purpose of the activation queue really is, or better: what problem it really solves. mod archives are imported into NMM (either through a download or opened from a file), and then they await activation, but NMM doesn't place them in the queue, they are in the download pane and also in the tree. the queue adds little to nothing IMHO.

- why not create a junction of the data folder to the physical data folder of the active profile? It takes more diskspace but it also means it's 100% fail safe and switching profiles is very fast.

In response to post #22005509.

I will port the alpha build source over GitHub soon (that's why it's not on Sourceforge, but I need some spare time to do that :) ).

Activation queue is not in this alpha.

We considered using jp last year, but junction points can't be used in this case because the destination folder needs to be empty and this will greatly limit what users could do with their game folders, we don't want users to lose versatility.

Anyway there's still a lot of room for improvements in the profile switch speed, this will be taken care of as soon as the build is considered to be stable.
Edited by DuskDweller

In response to post #22005509. #22005609 is also a reply to the same post.

> We considered using jp last year, but junction points can't be used in this case because the destination folder needs to be empty and this will greatly limit what users could do with their game folders, we don't want users to lose versatility.

what do you mean exactly? You can create a junction to a non-empty folder perfectly fine (if mklink can, so can you ;)) I use that all the time to map a folder elsewhere into a main folder as if it's there. http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/15633/Manipulating-NTFS-Junction-Points-in-NET

So you do: (if you already do this, ignore it ;))

- copy the original skyrim's Data folder to a separate folder. From this copy you create the profile folders
- for each profile you copy that copy for the profile
- mods are stored in that data folder, like it's done with 0.5.x
- a junction to the copy of the data folder is made in the skyrim folder
- to switch a profile, remove the current junction, and create one to the copy of the data folder of the profile to switch to.
- create a profile from another profile? copy the profile's copy of the data folder, instead of the original data folder.

This means all it takes to switch a profile is remove/create a junction.

(off topic I see, still if you'd like to have it ;)) -> About the activation queue: I don't see how this is suppose to work (in 0.5.x). This is what I had to do to install a mod:
- download it (it shows up in the download pane)
- go to the tree and look it up and activate it.
it never was placed in the activation queue. Instead of going to the tree, one should go to the activation queue so no lookup of the newly downloaded mod is necessary

It therefore should simply show the mods which are not activated yet (the ones with the X-s in the tree) however it somehow doesn't do that. It only places the mods I deactivate (or delete) in the activation queue, but also keeps them in the tree (I don't use categories).

In response to post #21986174. #21986399 is also a reply to the same post.

Sorry I was not clear in what I was asking. I've always used NMM as it works MO is overcomplicated and creates it's own problems but it does leave the /Data folder clean.

From what I am reading my understanding is that you are using pointers in /Data and the mods themselves sit in a separate folder so the Skyrim files are not altered.

My interest is in the end result rather than the mechanics as periodically I have to reinstall a clean backup of Skyrim. If this version negates that then it's a great step forward

Thank you so much for this, I have been anxiously waiting this version and so far so good. The conversion went well and seems to work great so far.

One thing though, maybe I am missing it but did we lose the ability to uninstall a mod so we can re-install with different options/patches via the scripted install? I can only find the option to disable a mod and then re-enable it which doesn't run the original install you get like if you had just downloaded it. Now I am having to copy the archive before deleting it with NMM then adding that archive back in to get the scripted install or am I just missing something?

Again many thanks and cheers to the new release!