Converting FO3 mod for FNV

KingsGambit

After some tinkering with one of my favourite FO3 mods today, I was able to convert it into FNV and wanted to share the steps with others. Software needed includes: Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, New Vegas GECK, FOMM. This will likely only work for mods whose models exist in both vanilla games and have no other dependancies (ie. a single .esp file). This should therefore work for mods which alter (or add modified versions of) vanilla weapons or armours, perks, etc. With some experimentation you may be able to use it with items that have custom meshes/textures, etc. and if it is possible, please share your discoveries with us!

- Using the FNV GECK, create a new .esp for your converted mod. Instructions for this can be found here, under "Creating your plugin" (please substitute FNV wherever you read FO3).

- Copy your new .esp into your FO3/Data folder (as though you were adding a mod to FO3).

- Open FOMM to see your list of installed mods for FO3. Note your .esp file at the bottom of the list and that it lists FalloutNV.esm as it's dependancy.

- Right click on your mod and click on "Open in TESsnip".

- Right click on the original FO3 mod to be converted and click on "Open in TESsnip"

- In the two new, smaller windows, expand both plugins by clicking the + beside their names. Note the first entry 'TES4' lists "Plugin dependancies" at the bottom (yours will list FalloutNV.esm, the original will list Fallout3.esm).

- You can now copy and paste all the entries of the ORIGINAL mod into your converted mod, except do not copy the TES4 entry.

- You should also ignore the following as they are game specific: GRUP (CONT), GRUP (WRLD), GRUP (CELL), GRUP (DOOR), GRUP (KEYM). (There may be a couple of others, I'm not certain, hence it's best to convert only simple mods as described above).

- Save your converted mod with its unchanged 'TES4' entry and all other copied entries (excepting as described above). Close the original FO3 mod without saving any changes.

- Copy your saved mod into your FNV/Data folder.

- You may now open it in the FNV GECK and should have all related objects, scripts, effects, messages etc. By ignoring the game specific properties, we aim to avoid all the code that adds items to FO3 vendors or containers. Note that armor now uses the Damage Threshold property (DT) instead of FO3's Damage Resistance (DR). Converted items which game DR in FO3 should be modified to reflect this change.

That's it! Your converted item(s)/perk(s) should now be available in FNV, although at this point they will only be able to be playable by using the in-game console. To add them to the world or vendors, you need to use the FNV GECK as you would for a newly created mod. I hope this is useful information, even if this just serves to jumpstart other people coming up with better processes. With so many wonderful mods on fallout3nexus it would be great to enjoy them also in FNV. On point to note, the work on the original mods was done by their authors and all credit for creating it should rightly be theirs. :biggrin: All the best.

It should be stressed rather STRONGLY that using this method and uploading other's works is against site rules, may result in a ban, and may even lead to that author being discouraged and upset to the point where they no longer want to do or share their works. There have been many instances of this sort of thing in the past several days, even after a news post was made.

http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?/topic/250317-uploading-converted-fallout-3-mods-without-permission/

People who do this sort of thing are doing more harm than good.

It should be stressed rather STRONGLY that using this method and uploading other's works is against site rules, may result in a ban, and may even lead to that author being discouraged and upset to the point where they no longer want to do or share their works. There have been many instances of this sort of thing in the past several days, even after a news post was made.

http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?/topic/250317-uploading-converted-fallout-3-mods-without-permission/

People who do this sort of thing are doing more harm than good.

Yep. I have had it happen to me with Vanilla Fallout and it can be disheartening to say the least, Especially when it was a beta version that was being spread. Fortunately the nexus staff took it down at my request but I have seen Jessi and Kelsey altered on other sites without my consent.

First thing I do if I use someone else's work in my mods is contact them and ask for permission, If they said No then its No but no one has ever said No.

On a positive note. This is very handy so Kudos. Thanks.

Thanks for your effort.

Right after getting and launching FNV yesterday i realized that they havent been willing to include a simple conversation tool (its really all the fallout3.esm problem). I was like 'WTF'. Now I have to convert every single one of my mods manually instead of just copypasting them. Writing such a tool is a matter of a few hours or less for professionals!

IMO this clearly shows how much they do not give a wet s*** about modding except stealing mods / ideas (eg FWE/Hardcoremode) to boost the ratings for their games. The target audiance is the console crowd anyway. Im pissed already, bad start for new vegas. :verymad:

Thanks for your effort.

Right after getting and launching FNV yesterday i realized that they havent been willing to include a simple conversation tool (its really all the fallout3.esm problem). I was like 'WTF'. Now I have to convert every single one of my mods manually instead of just copypasting them. Writing such a tool is a matter of a few hours or less for professionals!

IMO this clearly shows how much they do not give a wet s*** about modding except stealing mods / ideas (eg FWE/Hardcoremode) to boost the ratings for their games. The target audiance is the console crowd anyway. Im pissed already, bad start for new vegas. :verymad:

If I get you correctly, you're saying Bethesda was supposed to write a tool so that you can convert Fallout 3 mods to New Vegas? The whole thing about mods is that while they support them being made, they're not making them. They don't owe you anything, you should just be happy for the G. E. C. K.

Also, because somebody did it before, they are absolutely never able to do it? They're not allowed to look at mods to see what people want? I'm pretty sure mods didn't come up with the idea of eating, man.