• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Bonesz

Bonesz

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
So with fallout 3, I installed it directly to my computer and installing mods was easy... But now I got NV on steam, and I"m completely clueless as to where the data folder even is. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but could someone help me out, please?

Panzerjager1943

Panzerjager1943

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Steam -> Steam apps -> Common -> Fallout New Vegas.

for me, it's
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\fallout new vegas\Data
And then obviously enabling them should be just as easy as retail, since when you launch in steam it has a Data Files button.

lanep25

lanep25

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 248 posts
thanks for posting that. i needed that.

cocobutta

cocobutta

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Once you put the file in data folders, how to you open the file?

MDC519

MDC519

Old hand

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Once you put the file in data folders, how to you open the file?

There should be a new .esp file in the data files section when you launch the game....put a check in the box and the mod should be up and running.

Briarthorn

Briarthorn

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
This thread was very helpful!

cocobutta

cocobutta

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
There is no box to check that has my mod

jim_uk

jim_uk

There's someone watching me, I can tell.

• Premium Member
  • 24,321 posts

There is no box to check that has my mod

Recheck that it's installed in the right place, the esp must be in the data folder, not the games root folder.

CCCHAMP

CCCHAMP

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
my folder wont even show up and i have no idea how to put it up

bben46

bben46

I had a title once, but I forgot what it was.

• Staff
  • 18,122 posts
First, mods are all compressed when they are downloaded and must be uncompressed (unzipped) First. Putting a raw compressed file in the data folder isn't going to do anything.

Best FREE unzipping program: 7zip available here: http://tesnexus.com/...le.php?id=15579

Next, installing mods on steam is exactly the same as without steam, just the game and data folders are now inside of the steam folder.

Not all mods have an esp that needs to be checked. If it is just mesh and texture replacers for example. Those will take affect without doing anything else - assuming they are in the right place (data folder)

You are saying that the data folder is not showing up. The vanilla (unmodded) game will not work without a data folder so if you have been able to play without mods you do have a data folder - and the folder is not hidden.

The data list, showing those mods that do need to be checked is displayed when you first start the game - instead of clicking on Play, click on Data Files.

A much better data list with many more options for dealing with mods - like showing them in load order and being able to change the load order (needed for some mods) is shown when you use FOMM (Fallout Mod Manager).

Page loaded in: 1.018 seconds