How to install mods with steam?

Bonesz

So with fallout 3, I installed it directly to my computer and installing mods was easy... But now I got NV on steam, and I"m completely clueless as to where the data folder even is. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but could someone help me out, please?

• 6 months later...

First, mods are all compressed when they are downloaded and must be uncompressed (unzipped) First. Putting a raw compressed file in the data folder isn't going to do anything.

Best FREE unzipping program: 7zip available here: http://tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=15579

Next, installing mods on steam is exactly the same as without steam, just the game and data folders are now inside of the steam folder.

Not all mods have an esp that needs to be checked. If it is just mesh and texture replacers for example. Those will take affect without doing anything else - assuming they are in the right place (data folder)

You are saying that the data folder is not showing up. The vanilla (unmodded) game will not work without a data folder so if you have been able to play without mods you do have a data folder - and the folder is not hidden.

The data list, showing those mods that do need to be checked is displayed when you first start the game - instead of clicking on Play, click on Data Files.

A much better data list with many more options for dealing with mods - like showing them in load order and being able to change the load order (needed for some mods) is shown when you use FOMM (Fallout Mod Manager).