A Simple Horse Mod: More Vanilla Horses

redprincess79

I have a very simple request. In fact, it's so simple that I"m surprised nobody has done it before. But with all the horse mods, I have yet to see a mod that adds more Vanilla horses for purchase in all the empty stables in Skyrim (especially Whiterun). It's silly that there are only 5 horses in the game for you to choose from, and I would simply like double or triple the amount housed in the stables that are already in the game. Or, horses can respawn, so that once you buy one, another horse that looks exactly the same will appear.

This would be useful for when you are traveling with more than one follower using UFO or AFT such as I do sometimes. Or, if I want my followers to have the same colored horses that I do, instead of all different types of horses. Sound easy enough? Can someone do it?

• 2 weeks later...

I have thought the same thing, red. I am using just learning to use CK and this request seems relatively easy. I'll play around with it and see what I can come up with.

Well, that's interesting. The marker reference that the stable horses have in order to "know" they are yours, are unique to those specific horses and there is no way to copy the reference in order to make a new marker for more horses in the same stable. It seems like this may require actual coding of a new reference, so not as easy as previously thought.

Edited by jb1110

I think I may have figured it out. Now to test it. If it works, it will take me a while to get the rest of the towns and cities with stables done, but I'll let you know my progress as I go.

Okay, I made extra horses in Markarth and Whiterun that are basically just not owned by anyone and can be ridden by anyone. I'm going to mess with it some more to set ownership/change it when you buy them and I think I have to make it so that they don't return to the stable they came from when they are not being ridden, lol.

Sure. Sorry, I got side tracked with my much bigger mod project that I'm working on, lol. I have to finish adding horses in for each town for this one and figure out a slight snag with the ownership portion. When you ride one, they don't automatically become yours and will return to their stable, or where ever you found them. I've read that this might just be normal if you already own a horse (which my char does), so I'm hoping if you don't already own a horse, this will transfer ownership once you ride one of the extras. I'll work on it more in a bit and let you know when it's available.

Edit: I just realized I may be doing something nearly entirely different than requested, lol. I am adding more horses to each stable (and adding stables to places that didn't have them), but I don't know if the followers will be able to ride the new ones. I mean, I'm sure they will if you have the mod for it, but I'm still not sure that part will work completely. Also, I am not adding one of every single color to every stable, that is a whole lot of horses, lol. I may, at a later date, add mustang herds and make the horses tame-able. It might even go further into having your own wonderful stables with arenas and everything. However, this is all totally dependent on if this small one works, and people like it. I've added horses to Riverwood, Dawnstar, and Winterhold, and built extra horses into the Riften, Solitude, Markarth, Windhelm, and Whiterun stables. I plan to add more to Ivarstead and the other smaller towns first and foremost, if everything goes well with this, then onto making it more expansive. This will be my first upload, so fingers crossed!

Edit 2: I just went and tried to upload the .rar. It seemed to work, but when I tried to download from NMM, it said it was an empty file. If you download manually, you see it's not. I'm unsure of how to solve this problem yet, and will wait to upload until I know it will work for everyone.

Edit 3: Okay, so I installed it using Mod Organizer from the Nexus, but not using NMM and it works fine in game. I think It may be something weird with NMM/Nexus and my .rar. I will get to the bottom of it later, but for now I will be uploading this and not allowing download through NMM, it will have to be manual into your Data folder or as a manully added mod through MO.

Edited by jb1110